cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Digit Phone Number Problems

EME

Our company telephone number is only 10 digits as are all the numbers in our local area. We have a business and get several queries and emails as to whether our number is correct. We also supply Local authorities and many of their telephone systems do not recognise 10 digit numbers and either give an error message or just won't connect. I have heard that if you add an extra digit to the end of the number, the call will still come through as the system will only recognise the first 10 digits? Could you please confirm as I would like to put an alternative option (ie with an extra 0 at the end) on our website etc for people having problems contacting us so we do not loose sales.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

MHC
Guru

From experience, yes it will work but sometimes can throw up an error on systems that do recognise the 10 digit format.

Add the extra digit is not, I believe, formal BT policy but is a work around.

I have had the same issues in the past and companies point blank refuse to take it up with their system providers even going as far as to say BT should change their numbering scheme!

What I suggest you do is put your normal 0aaaa nnnnnn number on your website with a note saying:  "if the number fails to connect, please dial 0aaaa nnnnnn9   

EME

Thanks

That pretty much confirms what I thought.