cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Line - used for fax and broadband

office_work

Hi, we have an ADSL line that we use for our broadband access and the fax number.

The broadband works fine and if I plug a telephone into the line - that works (can call out and receive calls).

But when I plug in a fax machine - I've tried 3 different machines - two all-in-one machines and 1 dedicated analog fax machine.

They all fail - it seems the error is "No Current Loop" or basically they can not find a dial tone.

This is quiet strange - because if a fax is sent to the number - the fax machine recognizes an incoming call but never picks up the fax.

Is there anything I'm missing? That I can try to fix this?

It should be a rather simple setup.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

office_work

Oh,

One thing complication may be that the enigneer who installed the phone line.  Split the phone into a couple of sockets - so that I could plug in the fax in one room and the broadband router in another.

Do you think that has any impact on my situation?

Panatel

Dont matter about the additional socket, if a phone works in the socket then the fax will too.

I think this may be a problem with the line cord from the socket to the fax machine............

I have had it before where although the cable is the right connection at each end it doesnt like it so make sure you are using the cable that comes with the fax machine with no extention and also pugged in to the socket via the filter.

office_work

Thanks for the response.  I will try it but I'm doubtful that it will make much of a difference as I've tried a number of cables already.

I have noticed that the broadband connection is affected by what I do with the other outlet.  That could be just a coincidence but I will try to test all the combinations and see.

Davel
Super User

Have you got a filter on each socket? you need a filter on everything that is plugged into the line.