cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call blocking solution needed

Artmachine

We are in need of a method to allow us to block incoming calls from specified dialling codes. Mainly 0843 numbers; we're being pestered multiple times a day by scammers using that code. We've been faithfully reporting them to the Information Commissioner's Office, but to no apparent effect.

"Choose To Refuse" is not suitable - you can only block 10 numbers which must be entered individually, and we've had calls from way over 10 different 0843 numbers.

Is their any kind of mini switchboard we could be looking at?

10 REPLIES 10

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

You could sign up for the Telephone Preference Service, which may help:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/whatistps.html

Beyond that you would be looking at some sort of PBX type thing, but I have no idea what that might entail.

You could also switch to VoIP, as some VoIP providers offer call barring that doesn't seem to be limited.

Dave

Artmachine

Hi Dave, we've been signed up to the TPS for years now, for all the good it does.

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Aye the one thing about TPS is that it relies on people reporting offenders, so you can still end up getting calls because of the companies that just ignore it.

Dave

Artmachine

Okay - I've been recommended a possible solution - a "Call Blocker" box which sits between the phone and the socket. Needs Caller ID active on the line but that's no problem. It is reportedly pretty straightforward to instantly add numbers to the block list while they're actually on the line to you.

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Interesting.  If you do go for it then post up some details, as we don't often get details on this sort of product.

Dave

daempii

This seem to be a good information. I will be waiting for any update regarding this one. Since details on this are far to rare.

scenery

This is such a simple problem for BT to solve but it is not in their interest as they sell the 0843 numbers.

I tried the box option Truecall which works brilliantly but has the disadvantage of blocking occasional friendly callers or scaring them off with its messages.

My android phone has a very simple feature for blocking all calls beginning with 0843 or whatever you type in.

This could easily be developed for landline phones.

The problem still remains with international and unknown numbers

We have been signed up to the telephone preference service and it does absolutely nothing.

in the daytime we get up to 10 0843 international ppi calls and we still get calls in the evening from telemarketers and scammers .

Eventually my landline will be obselete and only used for internet

MichaelCooper

Can BT and the regulator please come up with a way of blocking unwanted callers especially all 0843 callers to both mobiles and landlines?

LondonJohnnie

I completely agree with you. I get around 12-15 calls every day from these 0843 numbers. The number changes every time so it is pointless to block individual numbers.

I was informed that these are telecoms companies that are calling to check your number exists. They then sell the llists on to marketing companies, who then can pester you.

I agree that BT should provide a solution for you to block all numbers beginning 0843.

I get so stressed out by this at times that I just unplug the phone during the day so I don't have to hear them. Most friends and people I know have got my mobile number anyway.

@Artmachine wrote:

We are in need of a method to allow us to block incoming calls from specified dialling codes. Mainly 0843 numbers; we're being pestered multiple times a day by scammers using that code. We've been faithfully reporting them to the Information Commissioner's Office, but to no apparent effect.

"Choose To Refuse" is not suitable - you can only block 10 numbers which must be entered individually, and we've had calls from way over 10 different 0843 numbers.

Is their any kind of mini switchboard we could be looking at?