cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract End Dates / Increasing Charges / Early Termination Penalties

classicsurfer2

Well after another frustrating time on the phone to I would guess an Indian call centre I still do not understand my rights. We have a businesss contract with several lines and broadband on a Onebill. The lady today could only see the one line on the account despite there being 4 lines and a broadband package on the account. We are being hassled by other providers claiming they can get us out of our contract as BT have again increased line rental charges. I tried an online chat and was advised to call  0800 345 7962, which I did. When I explained my query the BT service person stated that my line rental charges should not have been increasing whilst in contract and to talk to billings. They transferred me and then began over 20 minutes of sheer frustration. The operator could not understand what I was asking and obviosuly kept returning to a script, she kept referring to the one business line when we have 4 on the account. All I want to know, is 1) If BT are yet again increasing our line rental charge on 1st October and we deem this as detrimental to our business, can we exit the contract without penalty? 2) As per the service person I spoke to, should our line rental charges have been increasing whilst in contract 3) Confirmation of our contract end dates as the lady on the phone mentioned December 2017 and I was under the impression that all contracts will be completed in October 2017.

I do not want to speak to BT Openreach, we have been there and they are only interested in selling new comms systems and not actually listening to us the customer.

I also note from Ofcom that the type of long contract we were coerced in to taking out is no longer allowed.

Any help /  tips / advice gratefully received.

1 REPLY 1

HowsThat
Power User

Hello Hazel,

I am sorry to read about your issues.

Price increases within contract dates are rare but you should double check your contract terms since long contracts (>2 years) may have a clause to allow for inflation, etc.  Openreach have increased line rental charges over the last 2 years and many suppliers as you probably heard on the news increased their line rentals inline with Openreach since this is who supplies the underlying line.

If line rental charges are going up the increase would normally be small (<£1).  It might be worth getting your bill audited by an independant telecoms provider like http://www.tptele.com to see if you can make any savings but whoever you decide to speak to ensure that they do a full bill audit and give a like for like cost rather than headline figures or you could find out that they are more expensive after you have moved.

Please feel free to PM me your contact details if you would prefer to chat.

Kind regards,

Stuart