cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISDN2 not in use currently, testing faulty, should it be?

bigdave1980

Hi All,

A customer of ours has a BT ISDN2 circuit. They don't usually use this circuit for anything, it's reserved for when companies such as the BBC do live radio broadcasts from their premises (it's a large hotel). They have BBC Radio 5 coming to do a broadcast in a few weeks so have asked us to make sure the ISDN2 is still working ok.

There is currently no equipment plugged into the ISDN2 NTE so the green light is flashing, which is perfectly normal (means it can see the BT exchange but not the customer equipment).

I ran a BT line test on it via our portal (I work for a BT channel partner) and it failed, urging me to log a fault with BT. So I logged it as a ticket with BT and they quickly came back saying that it was RWT (which I believe means it was Right When Tested).

My question is, should the circuit be testing as faulty just because there is no customer epuipment plugged into the NTE? My ex-BT colleague says that it should not, but I wanted to double-check that. The end user has no ISDN2 equipment to plug into it to test it. I can log another ticket with BT and ask them to visit the end user premises but I am aware that there will be a charge for this if no fault is found. We could attend ourselves with our ISDN2 tester but they're hundreds of miles away.

Thanks,

Dave

1 REPLY 1

bigdave1980

Hello again,

To save people reading through all the blurb I wrote yesterday, put simply, my question is should an ISDN2 circuit be testing as faulty (when tested via our fault-checking/logging portal) just because there is no customer epuipment plugged into the NTE?

A yes or no from somebody who knows all about ISDN2 would be great please.

Thanks,

Dave