cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making my 2nd BT line the main phone line

eskay993

Hi

I'm not a business user, but I have been advised to ask this question here (from the main BT forums). I've been trying to find a solution for this with no luck. Spoken to several BT engineers (all based abroad!) and no one seems to understand the issue, let alone help. A pointer in the right direction would be hugely appreciated!

We have 2 lines coming into the flat - Let's call them Line 1 and Line 2. Line 1 is the main line around the house. If you plug any basic phone into a socket in any room, you get Line 1.

We have a Panasonic PBX system with both Line 1 and Line 2 going into it. Plug in a programmed Panasonic phone into any socket, and you get both line 1 and 2 available from the phone's selection menu.

We are dropping Line 1 and want to make Line 2 the main line in the house (Line 1 is hardly used anymore). We want to be able to plug a basic phone into any socket and get Line 2 by default. We also want to remove the PBX, although this is less of a priority. Main thing is to make Line 2 the default standard house line, and change our phones to basic standard phones.

I must be asking the wrong questions as I can’t find anyone than can help. Is this something BT can do? Is it the company that set up the PBX system (Spitfire I believe)?. Is it something I can do (I’m not hugely technical, but can follow basic steps)? What do I need to ask for, and to whom? 

We do have a Cable & Wireless box near the PBX with two ethernet style cables coming out of them. They are labelled with the actual phone numbers of Line 1 and Line 2. I tried swapping those round, but it made no difference. Line 1 was still the main line. I suspect this is something compeltely unelated. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

markp
Grand Guru

Hi eskay993,

Reading you post, is sound as though line 1 is a standard phone line and that line 2 is a VoIP line, and the PBX talks between the analogue line 1 and the digital line 2 which is provided through your broadband with cable and wireless.

I would contact the company that installed the system to make sure this is the case.  If it is, then it would be a case of cancelling line 1 and getting it renumbered to the line 2 number.

Regards

markp

BTfix

Hi

You will need a telephone engingeer to swop the line pairs over, so your Line 2 is conected to where you Line 1 is currently servicing.

Mike

BTfix.co.uk

eskay993

Hello

Thanks you both the quick replies. I'm fairly certain it’s not a VoIP line. Getting an engineer to swap the lines sounds like what we need.

Does this need to be a BT engineer? If so, what do I ask for as they didn’t seem to understand what I needed when I spoke to them.

Also, on the other BT forum, it was recommended I get an Internal Home Move to swap the lines. Is that the same thing?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers