cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old BT Master socket question

chris3453

Hi all,

I have a phone line that has an old style termination box on it. This box does not have a test socket etc as it is the style that would have been hardwired into a single phone. At some point it looks like someone has removed this phone and run a cat 3 cable into a standard extension box.

The question is will BT charge me to replace it with a current NTE5 box and bring it up to the BT standard ?

As it stands just now the line quality is very poor and so is the broadband connection speed. I don't want to spend a lot of money getting this fixed as it does work just not very well.   

Thanks for your help

Chris

2 REPLIES 2

ihesketh
It should be acknowledged that the network termination equipment (block terminal, line jack unit or line box), and the cable to that equipment, is the property and responsibility of BT Openreach.  Also, with the exception of a line box extension, it should be accepted that modification of wiring to that equipment should not be attempted by a customer.
If the external drop wire and termination box are old, it is possible that they are no longer in good condition and fit for purpose.  It would be fair to report any fault with the service, and it is reasonable to expect maintenance and updating of the network equipment as necessary.  From the information supplied, it is not possible to determine if the extension wiring and history may be relevant.
It would not be fair to expect an answer to your question about charges within these forums.
Message Edited by ihesketh on 25-08-2009 08:10 PM
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Watching out for innocent lambs being led to the ** slaughter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

janehouse

I have just spoken to a BT engineer about a similar problem. I have a shop which does not have a master socket and we are experiencing difficulties with our card machine. He said they will replace the first socket into the propeerty with a master socket free of charge but will not touch any extension sockets. Once the master socket is in place an electrician can run extensions from it.