cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use hub 5 instead of the old hub 3

usermac

I have just ordered bt business and have recieved my new started pack but have recieved the old hub 3 not what I wanted as I was told I would be recieving hub 5. Since speaking to bt on the phone they seem to have changed there mind and am telling me I am not allowed the hub 5 and that I have to have the hub 3. So my question is can I use my home hub5 for my business broadband or am I now stuck with the Business hub 3?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi usermac

The hub 5 is designed to work on fibre lines as it has an in built VDSL modem for using with fibre, this is why you would of received a hub 3 for a standard broadband line, although the hub5 can be put on a standard line too.

With the home hubs they can be used on a business line but because the home hub has different firmware, some options like being able to use a range of static IP's is not able to be used in the home hubs.

Markp

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

markp
Grand Guru

Hi usermac

The hub 5 is designed to work on fibre lines as it has an in built VDSL modem for using with fibre, this is why you would of received a hub 3 for a standard broadband line, although the hub5 can be put on a standard line too.

With the home hubs they can be used on a business line but because the home hub has different firmware, some options like being able to use a range of static IP's is not able to be used in the home hubs.

Markp

JOC

I've been down the same route - I was getting really duff speeds off my broadband connection, so on condition I signed up for another 2 years BT upgraded my hub, but I only got the Business Hub 3 which they said could improve things as it would have new 'tech' inside it. 

History, I know our 'box' was fibre enabled just before Christmas, BUT when the infintity engineer arrived to put my Hub 5 onto the fibre connection the fact that there was 3/4 mile of, wait for it, ALUMINIUM cable between me and the fibre box he couldn't improve on what I had and recommended that I kept what I had and cancelled the order.  So I kept my old 2Wire router, which as noted above BT have just upgraded with the BT Business Hub 3. 

However, I BT never collected the BT Business Hub 5 that they supplied for the abortive fibre exercise.  It's still in the box upstairs.  Would there be any settings pre-installed in it which would prevent me from installing that on my system (the business broadband running on the 3/4 mile of aluminium cable) and getting the benefit from its improved wireless abilities?

markp
Grand Guru

Hi JOC,

you would still be able to put the Hub 5 on your line, as it does ADSL and VDSL (fibre).

Markp

JOC

markp - Hey, you were absolutely right - I'd been worried that there might be connections inside it that would prevent me from trying, but as I had everything in bits trying the Business Hub 3, you gave me the confidence to try the Business Hub 5 - and everything seems fine!   Even if doesn't help my yards of aluminium cable it might give me a better wireless link around the office to what I have 😄  Thanks for the advice!