cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone scam

Catriona
Today I received a call from someone purporting to be from BT. They said I should have received a letter telling me my line would be cut off as soon as the call was over unless I paid the outstanding bill immediately by card. I told them my bill was paid direct debit and had the presence of mind to ask if the bill was in my name -they said yes, which immediately rang bells as it's in my husbands name. After being threatened with having to pay a substantial cost to reconnect but also cunningly stating that if there was a mistake BT would refund costs I thankfully decided to take the risk and put the phone down. I contacted BT immediately who said they would never behave so and to report it to phishing@Bt.com. Thus this posting but I do feel BT should make these scams more prominent on their website and even highlight for more awareness as some people will be fooled and the scammers will make a lot of money.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cornelia

Thanks for the heads up! It is indeed important to share information like this so others are warned and will not fall victims to these schemes. Did you get the scammer's phone number? Can you share it here?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cornelia

Thanks for the heads up! It is indeed important to share information like this so others are warned and will not fall victims to these schemes. Did you get the scammer's phone number? Can you share it here?

cornelia

By the way, I found several reports on calls purportedly from BT and they're posted at Callercenter.com. I'm surprised at the variety of phone numbers used by the scammers. 02075363564 and 02081441094 were only some of them. Can you check if your caller's phone number is there, too? Or better yet, share the details of the scam call you got and warn others. 

Lafitte

My business is getting repeated calls from 09131050149 where they hang up as soon as you pick up. We have been registered the frequency, two or three times a day, not knowing why we phoned to discover why to be told the call cost £ per minute - there is no reason for this other than to sucker you into phoning them, how can this be legal, why can BT not block users like this there can be no doubt what they are doing.

While I am at it - how do we stop the endless recorded calls wanting to sue someone on our behalf.

Life is being gobeled up by this abusive rubbish and making me so sinical my kids are sick of me!  

stephane11

I advise all my friends not to try to call numbers inconnus..avec a reverse directory, vosu can immediately know who this mobile number : Smileyhappy: http://www.phone-number-uk.com/