cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name Repoint

Charlesmoffat

I requested a domain name repoint this afternoon and wondered how long I should expect this to take? Reference is 151223-001605.

Also the website host as given me additional details to those on the contact form for BT. Can I email the additional detail to the person dealing at BT?

7 REPLIES 7

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Charlesmoffat

I can see your request has already been picked up by our Domain name team. Any emails sent to them are generally picked up and dealt by by the next working day.

If you reply to the email they sent you, they all be able to make the other changes too.

Markp

Grant1

Hi,

I'm planning to point a domain name (registered with BT) to a server with an external hosting company. At the moment, the domain name is hosted with a different external hosting company.

I can't see a way of doing this in the BT control panel. 

Do I have to ask the BT Technical Department to do this?

Usually, it's possible to do this via a domain name control panel, but maybe the BT control panel is different?

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks.

Grant.

Burkem5
Guru

Hi @Grant1

If you go to http://business.bt.com
Your Account >
login with your Primary BT email address >
Manage Services >
Manage domains 

This will get you to the BT Control panel,  from here you can edit your Host records and repoint your domain.

Hope this helps 

Burkem5

Grant1

Hi Burkem5,

Thanks for your freply.

Yes, have been in to the BT control panel and to Advanced Domain Manager, but I couldn't see the server numbers that this domain currently points to.

But I  noticed a post which said you need to ask BT Support to put in the server numbers, if you're changing your web hosting.

There was a page called DNS Details, which looked promising (I've included the text from this page below). But on closer inspection, I don't think this is the page where I change the server numbers for this domain.

Grant.

Use this area to manage the core settings of your domain name. We recommend caution when modifying these fields as incorrect use can impair both your email and website.

Changes will not take effect until you select Save at the bottom of the screen.

If the domain you have selected is in use as a Primary Domain name associated with a BT hosting package, some fields are automatically disabled and cannot be edited.

More detailed support on Zone file management can be found in the help file accessible by clicking on the "?" above.

Burkem5
Guru

I am sorry about that @Grant1

if thats not showing on the domain manager this will need to be reported via our contact us link 
what you could do though is go to www.mxtoolbox.com and then either do an A record look up for the fully qualified domain name (i.e www.domain.com)  and a CNAME look up just incase you are using a CNAME for webhosting which can sometimes happen.

If you see the IP as 209.235.144.9 thats with BTs webhosting powered by Hostopia 

Thanks 

Burkem5

Grant1

Hi Burkem5,

Thanks for the advice.

If I posted my email address on this forum thread, would it be possible to liaise with somebody in the BT Domain Names Team?

Am sure this problem could be quickly resolved in a couple of brief emails with somebody in the Support Team.

Grant.
grant@anguscarers.org.uk

Grant1

Hi @Burkem5,

Thanks for the advice.

If I posted my email address on this forum thread, would it be possible to liaise with somebody in the BT Domain Names Team, please?

Am sure this problem could be quickly resolved in a couple of brief emails with somebody in the BT Domain Names Team.

Grant.
grant@anguscarers.org.uk