cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name

mark_lodge

I have a complicated account and domain name setup and was looking for some advice to try to tidy up domain accounts etc. I have my domain name registered with easily and it is up for renewal. I have no problems with easily but i also have BT Broadband business account so at present Easily point everything to the BT account. I am also using the BT free web  page and easily points to my free web page. I am due to renew the domain name with easliy and was wondering wether to instead of renew with Easily transfer to BT to use some of the service i already pay for under my BT broadband account. When anyone looks at my web site instead of the domain name being in the top address bar the free one is shown. Obviously it would look better that my .com address stays in the address rather than the free address by webforwarding.

How much hassle is it to move my domain to BT so as to use the web hosting already provided under my account. What other advantages are there to moving or should i stay where i am?

2 REPLIES 2

ducatiman

I would strongly advise against moving domain hosting to BT!!!  They allowed our long held business domain to expire without letting us know and won't compensate for that.  The domain has been taken by somebody else so we've been forced to take another.

Keep well away, these people are hopeless!!

Ian1974

Hi Mark_Lodge,

If the domain is a .co.uk / org.uk domain then it is easy, all you do is ask your current host to change IPS tag to BTNAMES, then submit the transfer in via your account, this should complete within 24 hours.

You will however need to set up the forwarding again to your free space, we can do this with FRAME forwarding which will keep your domain in the address bar.

Please not that some search engines do not like frame forwarding and this can cause issues if you have anything like paypal set up on your website.

For a .com address it is slightly more complicated but here goes.

1. Ask your current host to unlock your domain and provide an authorisation code.

2. Submit a transfer in as above via your account.

3. An approval email will be sent to your domains "Admin contact" so ensure this is set to an address you have access to yourself.

4. Once approved the transfer should complete in 5-7 days, sometimes your current host can expedite this.

For more information on transfers please feel free to check out the following article.

How do I transfer my domain to BT Business? | BT Business

Kind Regards,

Ian - F -

BT Business Domains