cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer technicalities

Mav_TC
Hi,
I have a domain registered by another company who also host the email. I want to move it to BT and the guy that runs it sent the email below. Can someone help me understand whether this is correct?

"It may well be the best option to put all the control and payments for this domain with BT, it would be much simpler if this is what they can offer you.

However, will BT host and be the new registrar of the domain, or do they just want to control where the domain is pointing? I have a feeling that they do not act as registrars, but I could be wrong.

What makes me suspect this is that they would immediately know the procedure for doing this and request the transfer of the domain themselves who would in turn instruct my hosting account (Heart Internet) and they would then ask me to confirm and accept the request.

This is the same procedure with all the hosting providers I have used.

Also I do not know what a "authoinfo code" is. Can you confirm with BT that they will be the new registrar for the domain and that they will control the domain services?

If they do not act as registrars the best bet would be to pay for your own 1&1 account and have infinite control over the registration and email accounts for the domain. Once this is set up you can then just request the transfer and the procedure will go as above.

Sorry if this is all very confusing, but check that BT is able to do exactly what you want, I suspect that they don't."

Thanks very much - I do not know how domain hosting/registration works so have to be guided by the advice I am given.
1 REPLY 1

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Mav_TC,

wew can be your registrar as well.  If you have a .co.uk/.org.uk domain name you would need to request your current regsitrar to change the IPS tag to BTNAMES then you can login to your BT business account and transfer the domain in to BT.

If it is a .com or similalar you will need to request an EPP/auth code from your current host/supplier before you can transfer the domain name into BT.

I hope this helps.

Markp