cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-incrementing hit counter.

aurora

Good evening, everyone!

I tried the BT supplied hit counter (the one that looks like a line of children's wooden blocks with numbers on them) and it worked fine, after some 'teething trouble'. I then changed to a new counter, but did not like it, so I deleted it and went back to the original BT one. Now however, it won't refresh, ie. when I press the 'refresh' button, the number stays the same.

Any ideas?

Aurora.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aurora

Hello all,

I have received an explanation from B.T.'s tech support concerning the fix to my counter problem. It transpires that the path to the counter within the index file had become corrupted. I don't know how, but this was indeed the problem. I hope that this will be of interest to anyone with a similar problem.

Aurora.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dave
Guru

I lot of hit counters will ignore recurring hits and refreshes from the same ip address within a certain time frame (maybe 30 minutes or so), ie  it counts visitors rather than page requests. It could be that BT's one is set up to do this.

ALternatively, it could be that your browser is loading it from cache rather than reloading it from the server. IE does this a lot and you should set the cache to request a new copy of the page each visit rather than automatic.

aurora

Hello Dave,

Firstly, many thanks for your reply - this is very much appreciated. You are correct in general in saying that some hit counters count visitors as opposed to page requests, but B.T.'s one is just a page counter - this is why it was working properly at first. Why it suddenly stopped working, no-one seems to know. However, I raised a ticket through the appropriate support chat room, and the problem has now been fixed. I have e-mailed the appropriate department to ask what the fix was and I await their reply. If I receive one, I will post it here for everyone's benefit.

Once again, my thanks for your trouble.

Aurora.

aurora

Hello all,

I have received an explanation from B.T.'s tech support concerning the fix to my counter problem. It transpires that the path to the counter within the index file had become corrupted. I don't know how, but this was indeed the problem. I hope that this will be of interest to anyone with a similar problem.

Aurora.