cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP Version is now years out of date!!!

davesharpe1

Hello

We currently have two business websites running on the BT servers. I have been getting warnings from third party applications for years that the current PHP version (5.6.30) is out of date and now the Joomla platform itself is now warning me the PHP will no longer be supported for the next release. See below...

Prepare for the next Major Release of Joomla Since version 3.7.0 Beginning with Joomla! 4.0 we are raising the minimum server requirements. If you are seeing this message then your current configuration does not meet these new minimum requirements. The minimum requirements are the following:

PHP 7.0

MySQL 5.5.3

PostgreSQL 9.2

MS SQL will not be supported

MySQL using the legacy `ext/mysql` PHP extension will not be supported, MySQLi or PDO MySQL must be used instead. 

Please contact your hosting provider to ask how you can meet these raised server requirements - it is usually a very simple change. If you already meet these new requirements then this message will not be displayed.

As this has been coming for years, does BT plan on updating to a recent version on PHP anytime soon so we can continue to maintain the latest and more secure versions of our chosen website platforms?

6 REPLIES 6

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there davesharpe1,

I will contact our hosting team about this for you to see if there is any plans on upgarding the service.

Markp

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there davesharpe1,

I have had word back from our hosting team.  They have advised we will be implementing PHP7 in Q3 which means it will be January - March 2018.

I hope this news helps.

Markp

davesharpe1

Hi Mark

Thanks for the update, is it possible to be notified when this has taken place so i can check our sites?

Regards

Dave

davesharpe1

Hi Mark

I would just like to know if this is still on schedule?

Dave

markrich19901

PHP 7 is crucial for optimum performance and security. It is highly recommended that you run your software on latest versions of PHP.

jtanna
Power User

@markrich19901 wrote:

PHP 7 is crucial for optimum performance and security. It is highly recommended that you run your software on latest versions of PHP.

Is it still not upgraded?  What is going on with BT.  why are they so lax about these things.

I don't have a website with BT but I was planning to host a joomla site soon but now I'll wait until I know what is going on here.

thanks for letting us know about this situation.