cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring domain away from BT - Effect on email etc?

fxceltic

hi all, I have the following services with BT

multiple domains, 2 of which are associated with bt website hosting packages, 1 which is not

bt organise and share email package (along with multiple business email lite users)

Im considering moving to google apps for my email

my websites were recently redeveloped by my software supplier and are now hosted on their servers, therefore the webhosting packages I have with bt are effectively redundant, BT is really only hosting the domain which is repointed to my software companies servers.

Therefore I am paying waay over the odds for domain hosting.

My question is this:

How should I plan the switch? Should I transfer the domains to another supplier first, before switching emails to google?

Or should it be the other way around?

Is it possible to just have the domains hosted by BT, if so how much does that cost usually? i can find any info on it without the web hosting packages which I dont need anymore.

Obviously I want total continuity of service with no downtime in email or website, if possible?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohnE
Guru

We host domain names at, effectively, no charge.  All you will need to do is keep paying the renewal fees as they become due.  When you cancel your hosting package(s) with us, you will become liable for renewal fees.  Obviously, whilst we host the domain, it can be pointed as you wish.

As for e-mail.  Any changes at all to your e-mail will inevitably result in some disruption.  Even a simple MX record change can take up to 24 hours to propagate.  Domain transfer (to another host) can result in loss of e-mail service while the transfer takes place.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JohnE
Guru

We host domain names at, effectively, no charge.  All you will need to do is keep paying the renewal fees as they become due.  When you cancel your hosting package(s) with us, you will become liable for renewal fees.  Obviously, whilst we host the domain, it can be pointed as you wish.

As for e-mail.  Any changes at all to your e-mail will inevitably result in some disruption.  Even a simple MX record change can take up to 24 hours to propagate.  Domain transfer (to another host) can result in loss of e-mail service while the transfer takes place.