cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web hosting domain transfer on the sale of a business

geoff1

Help!

We purchased a business earlier this year which has a website hosted by BT.

Both we and the previous owners have tried to get to the bottom of whether the domain hosting registration can be transferred from their account at BT, to our account at BT.

We have both been told the same conflicting information by BT, that both of us have been advised  yes we can and no we can't!

The latest advice from BT is that we should transfer the domain out to another web host and then back to BT.

We cannot be the only people to have bought a business, who are wanting to stay with the same web host (although this is a desire that  is fast diminishing!).

To be honest, once we have transferred away from BT, why on earth should  we transfer back?

Is it possible to do a straight transfer?

Any suggestions?

Geoff.

2 REPLIES 2

markp
Grand Guru

Hi geoff1

it is and is not possible, it all depends on what system the old and new accounts are on.  If your account and their accouny are both on the same system we can force the domain to be moved between the accounts, but if your  and their accounts are on different system we would not be transfer it between accounts.

If you can send me the details in a private message I can check to see if it is possible for you.

Markp

geoff1

Hi Mark,

Your latest reply and our response seem to have disappeared at this end.

Please could you re-advise your suggested procedure for transferring hosting out of BT and back.

I recall you saying in your later email, that the original owners web hosting reference was not correct, presumably this will be necessary to instigate the transfer out?

We have double checked with the original owners Imbibo Ltd (Trish and Andy Brown), who say they have no other reference numbers or information to give.

Please could you advise on what to do?

Many Thanks

Geoff Kiddle