Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 2700HGV - Webpages time out and log issues

edcrossley

Hi

Been having problems with our office 2700HGV hub

it has firmware version 6.1.1.48.1-enh.tm

The hub seems to endlessly cause webpages to timeout, like the DNS service of the router is endlessly crashing and restarting.

There are lots of thread about this issue on google.

i.e. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24135804-Random-bouts-of-DNS-Timeouts-on-2Wire-2700HGV

Also it seems to timeout more if a wireless device is connected to the network.

Another issue is the contant logging of this error in the logs. Google search indicates the issue as the fusion feature. but both fusion and openzone are disabled on the router

WRN2011-05-16T08:38:48+01:00nodesd:  unable to sync data: No such file or directory
WRN2011-05-16T08:39:31+01:00nodesd:  Previous log entry repeated #### times

also another error which i don;t know, maybe the dns timeout??

INF2011-05-16T08:41:06+01:00fw,fwmonsrc=213.215.200.114 dst=192.168.1.76 ipprot=17 (layer 4 info unknown) Unknown inbound session stopped
INF2011-05-16T08:41:18+01:00fw,fwmonsrc=71.0.0.0 dst=86.155.200.140 ipprot=1 icmp_type=3 icmp_code=3 ICMP Dest Unreachable, session terminated

currently we have 5 pcs via LAN (3rd party ethernet switch) and maybe 1 or 2 smart phones connected to wireless

Any help?

Regards

Andrew

11 REPLIES 11

markp
Grand Guru

Hi edcrossley,

If webpages are timing out and not displaying correctly if could be a speed issue on the line, or the DNS servers that have been assigned to the router are not working correctly, If you contact our help desk we can look into this further for you,here are the contact options for the business helpdesk.

Regards

Markp

edcrossley

its not dns server issue (i.e. bt dns) nor is it a line issue. i have tested this endlessly

its the router issue, the dns or address lookup feature in the router is crashing and restarting. this issue is intermeidate and can happen more if all 5 pc are using the net at once.

i have tested this on a old voyayer router we have.

there are tonnes of searches out that suggesting the issue lies with firmware v6

edcrossley

i.e. this thread

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24104382-Page-not-found-constantly

i.e. one post says

ovation1357@ wrote:

A customer of mine is hitting the same problem as this. I did some initial tests with two different 2wire 2700HGV routers and found that the DNS Caching Proxy in the 2Wire will randomly stop responding to lookups.

Using "dig", I can try a whole load of DNS requests to the 2Wire . At first it will be happily replying, then suddenly new lookups all time out. At the same time, DNS requests to an external server are fine and established connections (e.g. streaming audio) continue to work flawlessly. Suddenly, the 2wire springs back to life and starts responding to queries again. It's almost as if the router's DNS proxy service is repeatedly crashing and restarting.

Changing to alternative DNS servers made no difference, but changing it on a PC (thus by-passing the router's proxy) cures the symptoms (except for the loss of local DNS, etc).

I have found that the greater the amount of Wi-Fi traffic, the greater the chance you'll hit this problem. E.g. The other day, I had two laptops connected via Wi-Fi, and made a folder available offline. The name resolution to the server should be using NetBIOS and the server is hard wired to the 2Wire router.
While the two machines were happily dragging a few gigs of data over from the server, DNS responses from the router just stopped. It simply could not cope. As soon as the transfers finished - Everything was fine again.

Could anyone else confirm that if they stress their Wi-Fi link with some large file transfers between two local PCs , this causes the same behaviour for them?

By-Passing the DNS proxy isn't really a valid fix to this problem - it results in loss of functionality and is a pain to administer on each individual machine. If anyone's had any success with debugging this I'd be interested to hear because BT are being typically useless.

JohnE
Guru

You could try setting up DNS server addresses in the Business Hub (in Settings - Broadband - Link Configuration - Broadband IP Network).

Otherwise you are probably correct, it's a hardware issue.  We do know of cases where faulty power supplies have caused this, although it's possible that a new Business Hub would be sent out, in which case, I'd advise speaking to the helpdesk: Contact Us

WakingDragon

Hi - I have also encountered this problem in the same way but am not experienced enough to want to touch any of these DNS settings.

I am reluctant to try and explain this whole problem and the solutions found online to someone on telephone support. Is there some way of getting a support person to read this thread before I speak to them?!

Or is there an easy way to testing the solutions and diagnosing the problem without extensive calls to the support line?

Thanks

Ben

JohnE
Guru

Wakingdragon, I sympathise with you about this issue, it does seem quite abstruse.  Generally, the helpdesk will run through a "no Web" diagnostic and one of the things we try is to designate "static" DNS server addresses to any computers connected to the Hub.  Google's usually work, for example.

Generally, you should not rely on the Hub for DNS translation, it should be resolved on the particular computers connected to it.

WakingDragon

Thanks for the reply John. Google is failing to resolve most frequently (although partly that is because it gets the most use).

So what do you suggest? That I contact the support line? If so, please can you give me a suggestion as to what to tell them. The problem is intermittent - it will be bad for half an hour and then be fine for a couple of hours.

Much appreciated

JohnE
Guru

I've sent you a PM, if that doen't help, then Contact Us 

SteveCWall

I have been thorugh this. It is a VERY common problem with the 2700HGV router - but BT do not seem have realised this.

By default the 2700 acts as your DNS server - and attempts to both resolve external DNS addresses and provide a kind of name resolution service between machines on the LAN.

It does this extremely poorly.

I had all sorts of problems and failures - and the BT help desk was hopeless. They first told us it was Chrome (because the lady from my office was using Chrome, even though we told them all browsers have the saem problem). Then they told us they had checked the line and router and everything was fine (it wasn't). When I was on the phgone to them the person I was talking to had never even heard of DHCP and was attempting to talk to me whilst instant messaging a "high up expert". Finally she said her coach would call be back in an hour. Guess what!.

Meanwhile I have been able to configure our network with public DNS addresses and it works fine. Except for wireless which is still dependent on the 2700 and so fails intermittently and frequently.

As far as I can tell the only way round this is to bin the 2700HGV and replace it with something that works.