cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues whilst online gaming.

Listenup94
Online gaming latency
Hi , I have been having online gaming issues with BT infinity for sometime , I have a wired connection and my dsl check says I have an A+ line and have spoke to BT and they say my line is fine , I have also recently switched from BT residential to BT business in order to lower my contention ratio however this has made no difference.

I have done a traceroute and there seems to be ping spikes on the 3rd hop when pinging Google’s servers , could this be the culprit of my issues and if so how do I resolve these issues?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

Plumly
Grand Master

It really depends are you seeing the spikes after the 3rd hop, if not then its not causing a problem during transit only on request, Which is common on some of BT Network Nodes

when you say latency what sort of Latency are you seeing a constant high ping or just an occational Spike?

are you running off wireless or Ethernet?

have you got a copy of the traceroute or Pathping which you can send on?

Listenup94
Hi thanks for your reply , the test was done on an Ethernet connection and it is the PS4 which is lagging in online gaming which is also a Ethernet connection , I’m not sure how to post my pathping on here but the 3rd hop spiked to roughly 200ms , the other hops aren’t as bad but sometimes there is packet loss on them , the IP address is 213.120.178.141 . Thanks

Plumly
Grand Master

yeah that hop will occationally spike to 200MS by standard, its all depending on what the end location ping time is and packet loss is like,

have you tried a new router?

Frodok

It isn't necessary to take a new router. I had problems with the delay at https://duckdice.io But it was not on the Internet, just my router settings were lost. I used the instructions and installed new firmware. This saved the situation. I think this problem often arises, but it is most often noticed by gamers.