cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Mail SMTP Connection to Server Failed

hempat

Hi

so i have obtained a domain name with one.com.

and i have been using an email address created through one.com on my mac mail it has been working fine. until last week. now it will not send any emails. i get the below message.

The SMTP connection to server “send.one.com” failed.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

I have psoken with one.com.... they said i should change my DNS settings, i did this and it worked.

However, i wish to keep the original DNS settings. is there anything anyonw knows about how i can solve this problem.

Can BT do anything to "create the connection" please help.

thanks

1 REPLY 1

Burkem5
Guru

Hi Hempat

There are 3 ways to go about sending through BT

1 - Set up mail relay (just contact us and we will put that in place)

2 - move the mail part of your domain to BT (this can cause some downtime on your email but will mean that the email will be managed by us) 

3 - move the whole domain over to BT (more downtime but preferable as it allows us to automatically update records for you)

Being that this is a business email your best way to be able to send via BT would be to call up and ask for mail relay

In order to do this you will need a BT Business Broadband line.

Thanks 

Burkem5

Editing my post as I realised that you were not talking about MX, A, and CNAME records (sometimes referred to as DNS)  but talking about DNS servers such as googles 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

More than likely you are using a BT business hub 3 which can throw a fit when Macs attempt to send through this.

The easiest way to sort this is to dial into the router 

(open a new browser window and type in 192.168.1.254 in the address bar) 

then go to settings > business network > click on your Mac and rename this to something like HempatMac or Mac1

then save your settings turn off both the Mac and the hub then turn them back on

you should now be able to send using your regular DNS servers.

Hope this helps

Burkem5