cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about moving a line to a domestic address

altyfc

Hello

I'm currently in the throes of vacating my office in town and switching to working from home (just a mile away, so same town). I would like o retain the same work number.

What's the best way of going about this?  I have tried to get to speak to a real human being about this (would be nice, BT) but seem to struggle at every hurdle and just get directed to automated options.

Do I get a new line installed at home and then ask for the office number to be switched across to the new line/number? (I'm also wanting to have calls from another number directed on to this line, plus have broadband put on the line in all probability.)

Is there the way to go about this and, if so, what is the cost and how do I get things moving?

Thank you

Paul

3 REPLIES 3

Cencall

Hi Paul,

Well even if you are a mile away, the exchanges can be different. This can be only advised after checking your addresses for work and home.

First Scenario -

If it's the same exchange, then ofcourse you can take your number to your home. Again would you like to change from BT business to BT residential or keep business?

My advise will be to keep it as Business line as you will get advantages of BT Business customer plus 2 big advantages.

Second Scenario -

Lets say your home comes in different exchange so you can get a new business line installed with Business broadband, ask Business sales to activate 2 business VOIP on broadband. It will cost you £5 each but you can then port your existing numbers across and get calls forwarded to your new number. 

This way you can still get calls from your business number.

Hope this helps.

Rob
www.telecomssupermarket.com
Britain's First Business Telecoms Comparison Website

webengraver

@altyfc wrote:

Hello

I'm currently in the throes of vacating my office in town and switching to working from home (just a mile away, so same town). I would like o retain the same work number.

What's the best way of going about this?  I have tried to get to speak to a real human being about this (would be nice, BT) but seem to struggle at every hurdle and just get directed to automated options.

Do I get a new line installed at home and then ask for the office number to be switched across to the new line/number? (I'm also wanting to have calls from another number directed on to this line, plus have broadband put on the line in all probability.)

Is there the way to go about this and, if so, what is the cost and how do I get things moving?

Thank you

Phil

moscarella

You will get, like myself, absolutely no help from BT, I have just spent 40 minutes on the dedicated 0800 number which is part of what is mockingly referred to as part of my (charged for) care package. No reply from the

"helpline"...Just the usual drivel about your call being important and directing you to the invisible support available on the BT website. I intend to keep my business connection and phoneline...I just can't find any way to actually do this.

If there issomeone out there in cyberspace who has achieved this perhaps they will be kind enough to let me on in the secret Fortunately , my two year contract finishes in November of this year. If all else fails and I still cannot get my phone and broadband service moved when I do, I will just have to strip out the BT master socket and extensions or I will be footing the bills for the new owner!