cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to ADSL2+

andygraves

Earlier this year we upgraded our broadband from 8MB home broadband to 20MB business broadband.

When I checked our connection speed this week I saw that we were still on an 8MB connection. The first BT person I spoke to on their webchat told me that our old home hub wasn't compatible with the new business broadband conneciton as it couldn't be configured to use our business username and password.

The ony option was to spend £79 on a business hub 3. I installed the business hub last night and configured it with our business username and password. There was no change to our conneciton speed and the hub still reported just under 8MB connection on an ADSL Max line (Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A).

I spoke to another BT person on webchat this morning and we went through the process of connecting to the master socket test connections and uploading extensions etc. He said to leave it connected like this for 72 hours! Not possible as no phone could were no connected and wires all over the hall in front of the door.

We have paid for a 20MB connection with a new 24 month contract but I cam becoming more and more convinced that BT just haven't upgraded our line to ADSL2+ and no amount of pluggin into different sockets is going to make any difference.

Here are the connections stats from my new business hub:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:46:34
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.8 dB / 29.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):25.4 dB / 13.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):199 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

The uptime if low as I have just moved the router back to its normal location.

Do I need BT to do something their end to upgrade me to a 20MB ADSL2+ conneciton?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

11 REPLIES 11

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Leaving the router in the test socket does help, as it removes any possibility of interference from other devices and sockets, which are always a possibe source of problems.  It isn't always preferable, but it's certainly not wrong.

I am a little concerned that your profile is still showing 8 Mb characteristics, which you can see from the upload speed.

It might be worth contacting them again to find out if a profile reset has been put through.

Dave

andygraves

Leaving the router in the test socket for 3 days isn't practicle as its next to the front door with no power supply near it. I seem to be getting resonable 8MB (ADSL Max) speeds anyway. Running a test from speedtest.net reports around 6Mbps down and 0.34 Mbps up.

I just get the feeling BT have sold us a 20MB ADSL2+ upgrade back in February and not actually upgraded our line. Until two days ago I had the original BT Home Hub 1.5 still plugged into the line that we received years ago. The BT person I spoke to on Monday said it was incompible with business broadband and sold us a Business Hub 3 for £79.

From what I understand for other forum posts the modulation being reported on my router means my line is still running ADSL Max and hasn't been upgraded.

Is there anything specific I need to ask BT to do at there end?

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I had a quick look.  It's been upgraded to ADSL2+.

Not sure about Home Hub 1.5s.  I think HH 2.0s and beyond were the only business compatible and ADSL2+ compatible ones.

I suspect you may need a profile reset, which the Helpdesk could do for you.

Dave

andygraves

Thanks Dave, I'll contact BT and ask them to do a profile reset.

When its done will I see a change in the Modulation reported in the Business Hub?

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I think so, as I believe that ADSL Max and ADSL2+ use different ones.

Dave

andygraves

I've just done another webchat with them. I have been told to leave the Business Hub plugged into the test socket for 72 hours to allow it to detect the upgrade.

I asked them directly if my line had been upgraded to ADSL2+ and was told it had.

The router has had 8 months to 'detect' the upgrade in it usual socket so I can't see that plugging it into the test socket for 3 days and then moving it back will do anything. I was told the modulation will change just by connecting to the test scokets for 72 hours, its currently 'G.992.1 Annex A'.

At the moment I feel like I'm 8 months into a contract for an upgraded line which hasn't been upgraded, and just shelled out another £79 for a new router I didn't need.

andygraves

I've now been connected to the test socket for about 74 hours and the stats reported by the router are almost identical to before.

The man I spoke to on the BT webchat had said that the modulation would change over to ADSL2+ automatically. I may not know how the network works but I'm pretty certain the upgrade requires a technician to plug my line into the new equipment at the exchange.

My current stats are below.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 22:10:12
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):25.3 dB / 13.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 20
CRC Events (Down/Up):1636 / 27
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):22865 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):442 / 23

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Yup something has definitely gone wrong.  Everything on the surface looks fine, but it'll have to be escalated.

If there's a callback booked then let them know when they call, or call in anyway so that it gets the process started sooner.

Dave

andygraves

Thanks Dave. I think he was due to call back on Tuesday so I'll wait for his call.