cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange error, hope someone can help

mikeyuk

Hi all.  Have moved into shared accomodation which seems to BT business suplied and I am experiencing a strange problem with the internet.

I am using a WIRED ethernet connection.  I can ping the router continuously with no timeouts, so my connection to the router is fine and does not drop out.

The problem is that I am getting long stalls in connection.  I will download a file, it zips along at 4 mb/s then it stalls. And stalls.  And stalls.  Then off we go again.  This is the case for wireless and wired.

I've uploaded the system log from the router here: http://pastebin.com/SR4dYiHq (after I did a reset)

and the event log here :

http://pastebin.com/2zuhbAri

Something strange has also happened (although maybe this is normal I do not know)

When browsing the router on 192.168.1.254 sometimes it will lose connection and on relogging it will look like:

router 1.jpg

Then if I refresh or start browsing again it will revert to the normal bt business layout:

router 2.jpg

So I am truely puzzled.  Also I am unsure again if this is related or normal, but on some "whatismyip" address websites it seems to alternate between 86.182.211.151 and 86.130.199.88, then on others it is always 86.182.211.151.

Here is a picture of how the routing is setup:

router 3.jpg

So yeah, I don't know what all those numbers mean and whether they are revelant, but any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

mikeyuk

Ok so I fixed it (sort of).  There is another bridge/something/noideareally thing connected to the main 2701HGV-C, a netgear.  I assume that this provided ethernet to the rooms and is a switch/bridge/hub (I dont know how to tell them apart), and by unplugging the two cables running into this box of nightmares from the 2701HGV-C the problem is fixed.

However, now of course there are only wireless connections available.  I assume some sort of collision/hardware incompatability was occuring, anyone have any idea how to make these two devices play ball?

MHC
Guru

There should only be ONE cable running from the 2701 to the switch.

Is it a managed switch?    or just a plain no frills device?    

No real experienc eof Netgear switches but I use a Linksys/Cisco switch behind my 2701 which feeds numerous PC, a couple of additional WAPS, TVs, DVD players and more.   ALL without issue.

You may want to check te IP range available from the 2701 - is it large enough for all users and devices and possibly clear any stored lists which can get long and cumbersome.