cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPoE Username & Password

hansontech

I am a network installer and have been asked by a customer of BT to install a new network within their business premises.  The client has just been connected to FTTP and currently has a Business Smart Hub 3.  This will be replaced by another security gateway and I understand the FTTP connection via the ONT uses PPoE to connect.  Does the customer need to contact BT Business to get a specific username and password for connection so I can commission the system during installation?

The customer has also been provided with a VOIP phone service which has been setup using a separate Yealink DECT base station connected to one of the LAN ports on the BT Smart Hub.  Will this work with an alternative router or is this part of the BT Digital Voice system which only works through the Smart Hub 3?

Many thanks for any information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Connecting a third party router to the ONT does require a PPPoE username and password, which can be obtained by contacting BT Business Support. I recently had to go down this road when I connected my own router to the ONT.  I just told the agent that I am using my own router and could they supply my Network Userid and password, which they gave me without any issues.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kelper
Guru

To  use a non-BTB modem/router, he will need to obtain a unique username and password from BTB.  I have connected a DrayTek Vigor this way.  This is only used as a backup if the BTB unit fails.  I only have a BTB Smarthub 1, but that has bridge mode so that it can be used as a modem only and then you can connect your own router.  I've read that Smart Hub 2 and 3 do not have Bridge mode although it might be added with a future firmware update.

hansontech

Many thanks for the reply. I'll get him to contact BT Business for the relevant credentials. 
Interesting information on bridge mode not being available on the Smarthub 3 as that was my other option. 

See this topic BT Business Smarthub 3 Bridge mode greyed out. - BT Business Community

Can you connect directy to the ONT?  I don't have fibre so I don't know how your client's fibre is terminated.

You could search this forum for more advice.  

I'm sure a mod will be along soon to help further.

Ideally connecting to the ONT is the best solution.  I just need my client to get the required password from BT Business.  Using the SmartHub in bridge mode was a last resort as I’d rather not use it at all.

I’ll check the link but have already searched and it seems BT Business will provide the password after some effort!

Ok the thread you linked to suggests no credentials are required, you can simply wire a third party router to the ONT.   Other threads I read suggested you must connect via PPoE and use the required username and password for authentication.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Hi,

Connecting a third party router to the ONT does require a PPPoE username and password, which can be obtained by contacting BT Business Support. I recently had to go down this road when I connected my own router to the ONT.  I just told the agent that I am using my own router and could they supply my Network Userid and password, which they gave me without any issues.

Perfect just what I needed. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.