cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

business smart hub 2 will not connect in bridge mode

HeardJA

I have read the many postings regarding bridge mode on the BT Business Smart Hub 2. and attempts to use with another proprietary router / or mesh system. It appears to be fraught with problems. 

I am not getting past the first hurdle, in when bridge mode is enabled through hub manager I get a BT converged hub error message as below and internet connection is lost.

This is as part of an attempt to use the Business Smart hub in modem only mode to connect to an existing Asus XT8 router which gives Mesh wifi around the house.  Prior to being forced into this change, due to Plusnet abandoning business users, the connection was through an ancient BT openreach modem that worked fine with the ASUS router.

The connection is fibre to cabinet not premises.

I would welcome some advice please - is this an easy fix to get the business smart hub 2 to work in modem only mode - or is it simpler just to buy a more dependable modem only to pair with the XT8.

Thanks

HeardJA_0-1692868381958.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HeardJA

To conclude this - following your response Kelper I called BT and got the correct user name log on and password for my business account. This had not been notified previously.  Entered this into the XT8 router and  connected through the original Openreach DSL modem - which is identical to a Hauwei HG612 but is marked as an ECI telecom model 06153. Connected immediately and all Asus mesh functionality restored. The Business Smart hub 2 is back in it's box and there it shall remain.

As a pleasing conclusion the BT engineer, who yes was in India, called me back 20 minutes after he had given me the details to ensure the fix had worked. An unexpected pleasant follow up. 

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

kelper
Guru

Please post the exact error message in writing as we can't see any images until a mod has approved them.  

HeardJA

Thank you for responding

the message says " BT Converged hub"

Unable to connect to the internet

Your hub has detected a problem with your internet connection

And offers to start troubleshooting which results in a phone number to call.

kelper
Guru

Have you tried a factory reset?  I can't find any reference to that error on the web.  Could there be two hubs connected on the same 'line'?

kelper
Guru

What lights show on the Smart Hub?  I doubt if I can help but more info means you are more likely to get a solution from other customers.

HeardJA

reading further, since I made my original post, I can see that the original open reach modem, which I had disconnected, appears to be identical to the Hauwei  HG612 which is heralded elsewhere on the BT forum as plug and play to provide internet connectivity for the xT8.  I therefore reinstalled the old DSL Modem and once settled the dsl led illuminated solid green and the GUI for the Xt8 router indicated there was an internet connection. Sadly from the hardwired PC no internet connection from a Google search. 

This seemed to be connected according to the router but did not translate to connection from a PC.  Might this be. Shorter fix??

kelper
Guru

I'm confused, are you connecting a computer to the old DSL modem via Ethernet?  If you don't use the BTB Smart Hub, you may need a unique username and password.  The BTB Hubs use a generic username and password but this won't work on non-standard modems.  I connect with a Draytek Vigor, but I had to get my unique username and password from BT via the mods on this forum.

HeardJA

It shows steady orange which indicates no connection and also apparently bridge mode. 

HeardJA

It has been factory reset twice so far. Currently it is giving an intermittent connection in full use mode. Email not collecting and flaky connection. 

HeardJA

That is about where I have got to. The user name and password are held in the XT8 router and I have been searching fir the last hour if more for the sign on. I have had one email from BT which gives a user name and password but only for the BT account. How did you obtain the unique user ID and password ?? Was it by calling BT??