cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send to Outlook or Hotmail addresses

JHughes

We've got an ongoing problem with outgoing emails being bounced back from hotmail and outlook email addresses.

The bounce message says the sending ip is on a block list.

The i.ps are:

I've done an ip lookup and they are all registerd as btconnect.

We send email from our domain address which is linked to our btconnect address.

Our domain host 123reg doesn't host our email, BT say they don't host it either and say they shut down their BTconnect relay service a long time ago (we were never notified of this).

Sending to other business email addresses works fine, receiving email works fine, so I'm slightly confused by their statement.

Various suggestions have been made - e.g. moving domain hosting to BT,smart hosting with BT or moving our mailbox to 123reg, all of which seem overly complicated given that we can send to most email addresses okay.

I've requested that the ip addresses be taken off block using mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors

We don't send masses of emails, but I'm guessing lots of email accounts route through the same ips and no sooner as they are un-blacklisted they get reported as spam again.  Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a less complicated way to resolve this?

3 REPLIES 3

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

The public IP pool is notoriously bad for being blacklisted. Usually the block lifts after a few hours but in some cases you need to go to the blacklist site and request removal.

I suppose you could purchase a single static IP and that way you're not using IP's that have been abused by other users.

Thanks

JHughes

Thanks for responding.I spoke to BT but they weren't much help apart from suggesting moving our domain hosting to them (currently with 123-reg, and has been for years). BT have provided a static ip for us (so they say) but emails to these accounts are still bouncing.  Any other ideas?

I did an IP look up on the sending addresses:

Hostname dyobmr.btconnect.com

hostname dyslmr.btconnect.com

hostname rdobmr.btconnect.com

hostname rdslmr.btconnect.com

(common theme here!!)

this was the reply from Microsoft. 

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Not qualified for mitigation
62.239.164.79; 62.239.164.78;
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation.

Outlook.com limits the number of email messages a particular IP can send within a time period based on the IP's reputation. When an IP exceeds its sending limit, any further SMTP commands from the IP will receive error code 421 from Outlook.com and the connection will be terminated.

Please ensure your emails comply with the Outlook.com policies, practices and guidelines found here: http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx.

To have Deliverability Support investigate further, please reply to this email with a detailed description of the problem you are having, including specific error messages, and an agent will contact you.

193.113.5.104;
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation.

Please ensure your emails comply with the Outlook.com policies, practices and guidelines found here: http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx.

To have Deliverability Support investigate further, please reply to this email with a detailed description of the problem you are having, including specific error messages, and an agent will contact you.

193.113.5.105;
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation. These IP(s) have previously received mitigations from deliverability support, and have failed to maintain patterns within our guidelines, so they are ineligible for additional mitigation at this time.

Regardless of the deliverability status, Outlook.com recommends that all senders join two free programs that provide visibility into the Outlook.com traffic on your sending IP(s), the sending IP reputation with Outlook.com and the Outlook.com user complaint rates.

Junk Email Reporting program (JMRP) When an Outlook.com user marks an email as "junk", senders enrolled in this program get a copy of the mail forwarded to the email address of their choice. It allows senders to see which mails are being marked as junk and to identify mail traffic you did not intend to send. To join, please visit http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=efo....

Smart Network Data Services program (SNDS). This program allows you to monitor the ‘health’ and reputation of your registered IPs by providing data about traffic such as mail volume and complaint rates seen originating from your IPs. To register, please visit http://postmaster.live.com/snds/.

There is no silver bullet to maintaining or improving good IP reputation, but these programs help you proactively manage your email eco-system to help better ensure deliverability to Outlook.com users.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi JHughes,

As you have a static IP and are still getting this response, I would advise setting up a reverse DNS to stop this. You can find the guide to do this here.

Beth

^BethM