cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet, for the past week.

Jurasik
Power User

Hi.

Our business internet speed (8mb) has been really slow, for the past week. I have run numerous speed tests over the last few days & get between 1-1.5mb download & about 0.3mb upload.The test computer is connected directly to the Belkin N600 ADSL Modem router, using standard cat5 ethernet cable.We are in Stourbridge.

Is there a problem at the exchange?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

I am really sorry that none of the users of the forum have been able to assist with this. If your connection remains slow you would need to contact the technical team for advice. I am afriad the technical team do not pick up cases directly from the forum.

Sorry we can't help with this.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Jurasik
Power User

Did a Trace route to www.bt.com:

Tracing route to www.bt.com [62.239.237.2]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  router [192.168.0.1]

2    30 ms    30 ms    29 ms  host81-148-0-1.in-addr.btopenworld.com [81.148.0.1]

3    29 ms    31 ms    31 ms  213.120.178.141

4    30 ms    31 ms    30 ms  213.120.177.98

5    31 ms    30 ms    29 ms  213.120.176.18

6    30 ms    30 ms    30 ms  213.120.176.178

7    30 ms    29 ms    29 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-1-0-6.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.249.94]

8    31 ms    30 ms    31 ms  core2-te0-15-0-2.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.249.19]

9    36 ms    35 ms    35 ms  core2-pos7-0.birmingham.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.204.61]

10    36 ms    36 ms    36 ms  iar1-gig5-5.birmingham.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.196.98]

11    35 ms    34 ms    35 ms  62.172.57.218

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Any ideas?

a-hill
Grand Master

By default the bt.com address and IP aren't pingable, so it's perfectly normal that the traceroute is timing out. I've checked the current line rates and they are within the fault threshold so the sync speed isn't dropping below. Would it be possible, just for testing, to have a single PC connected to the router and if you could run a speedtest from http://www.speedtester.bt.com and post your results here? There has been a slight recalculation in your speed profile, but certainly not to the extremes you are seeing.

Jurasik
Power User

I have just tried the speedtest you link to. I put the phone number that the line is connected to & get NOTHING.

The page is stuck on `checking user details'. I left it running for about 10 minutes. Just to confirm I put our other number into it & it comes back almost immediately with `Test Error'.

I have also used speedtest.net & got these results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1162866895.png

I am using the latest version of Firefox to connect to the web.

The PC I used to perform this test is directly connected to the ADSL router.

a-hill
Grand Master

If you can, it would be beneficial if we could reduce the scope of error by swapping over the microfilter and connect to the test socket. If you're still getting speed results like the one you linked after that, then the best idea would be to contact the helpdesk so the the issue can be progressed further. Even though the sync rate etc. are looking fine, we can use evidence of the poor performance combined with the cabling taken out of the equation to have the issue investigated.

Jurasik
Power User

I've not had the chance to do the microfilter/ test socket yet. Can you advise what you mean by this?

"By default the bt.com address and IP aren't pingable, so it's perfectly normal that the traceroute is timing out. I've checked the current line rates and they are within the fault threshold so the sync speed isn't dropping below. Would it be possible, just for testing, to have a single PC connected to the router and if you could run a speedtest from http://www.speedtester.bt.com and post your results here? There has been a slight recalculation in your speed profile, but certainly not to the extremes you are seeing"

If BT have messed about with our Broadband settings, is it possible to put them back as they were & then we can see if this has an effect on the speed?

obliviscaris

Hi Jurasik

In a couple posts up written by a-hill
if you click on the blue highlighted links
this will give you a step by step guide on how to plug the filter in to the test port.

juraski can you describe what you mean by
"messed about with our Broadband settings"

is this the router setting??
or browser setting??

obliviscaris

Jurasik
Power User

I've not had the chance to do the test socket test, as I am very busy with my main job.

My reference to `messed about with our broadband settings' is regarding the statement that 'there has been a slight recalculation in your speed profile'. There has been no settings change at our end, browser or modem. This is why I ask if the recalculation can be reversed, so we can go back to the settings that gave us the speed we pay for.

Jurasik
Power User

Our connection is still slow. Can anybody confirm if the settings have been reverted?

Jurasik
Power User

Just ran a speedtest in IE8:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1191937681.png

Now this one is saying download speed of 0.09Mbs & an upload speed of 0.38Mbs.

Is this the sort of speed we can now expect from BT?

EDIT:

just checked the ADSL rates shown in our modem:

Data rate, Downstream: 6112mbs

Data rate, Upstream: 448mbs

Noise margin, Downstream: 8.5dB

Noise margin, Upstream: 23.0dB

Attenuation, Downstream: 36.4dB

Attenuation, Upstream: 17.5dB

Output power, Downstream: 19.9 dbm

Output power, Upstream: 12.2 dbm

Are any of these numbers looking out of range?