cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email on Mac: problem sending

kantseeit

I have set up Mac Mail for Microsoft Office 365 and it was working fine for some months.  

For the past few days I cannot send.  The server list shows 'smtp.outlook.com(offline)'.  

Does anyone know what 'offline' means in this context?  My other email addresses work fine, and I can send my bt email via googlemail (but the recipient then sees the sender as from gmail not bt mail).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stephenc
Master User

Hi there,

This is quite a strange issue, only affects mail on apple and only on the new hub.  It seems to be the way mail searches for the dns.

There's three ways to fix this:

1) Specify dns on the mac:  Click the finder icon - apple - system preferences - network - (select either wireless or ethernet) - click advanced - click dns - click the plus - enter two dns servers, i.e. 62.6.40.162 and 194.72.9.34

2)  Change the hostname on the router:  Open safari - type in the address bar 192.168.1.254 - click settings - enter your password, click advanced settings - continue to advanced settings - business network and rename your mac in the network to something with one word and no puntuation, i.e rename unknown45:ae:01:ee to "Mac" or "laptop".

3)  Change the name of the mac:

Open a Terminal window and enter the following command "scutil --set HostName newhostname" replace newhostname with whatever you wish to call the Mac. Use the following requirements, it must begin with a letter and can contain letters and numbers. Try to keep it under 64 characters as well.
•    Click on the Apple icon, then System Preferences. In there, should be an option called Sharing. If not there will be a show all button at the top, click this, then click Sharing.
•    In the window this brings up click Edit
•    In the window this brings set the Local Hostname field to contain the exact same thing you set the hostname to in the terminal
•    Back into the System Preferences page and click on Network
•    Select the Location option at the top and in the menu that pops up click Edit Locations
•    Click the plus button and give the new location any name.
•    Once this is done the computer may loose all connectivity. If using Wi-Fi click on the Wifi option on the left of the network pane and it should reconnect to the network without having to re-enter security keys or anything.
•    If using Ethernet, it might just work, make sure Ethernets selected on the left and check through the advanced options, try doing DHCP release and renew etc.

Option 1 should work fine as long as the settings are not changed in future and BT do not retire the particular dns server you use.

Option 2 will work for the hostname you change (although may require a reboot) on the router it is connected too (if you connect to another hub 3 the hostname would need to be updated again).

Option 3 - (apple support should be able to help set this up if you are uncomfortablemaking the changes) should work for any connection as the issue primarily lies with the hostname on the machine.  Ensure there is no punctuation or spaces in the hostname.

Thanks,

Steve

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

lobsterlee

Hi,

I went live on bt infinity back on October the 9th... I have an iMac and set-up my btinternet email on that using 'Mails' wizard... everyting was great until last week... 

Now all I get is the spinning icon followed by the warning triangle (problem connecting to server) icon... mail still comes through on my iphone but I have deleted the account from my mac and now it just spins! for ages before saying problem with server!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

charlottesacco

I seem to be having the same problem as the people above i.e since i have switched to BTinfinity i have been unable to send emails via my mac or phone. All it says is the server is offline, but i dont know how to get it back online?! Please can someone offer me some advise as its a real pain. 

rickf

hi, Have been struggling with this issue of being unable to send email from Mac mail through BTconnect for a few weeks. Really need to get this resolved as it's beginning to seriously impair business now. You mention a fix - could you tell me what it is, or where to get it? Many, many thanks!!!

carlos77

I'm also having the same problem.  I have 2 BT accounts, and use mail on a mac.  Both accounts have been working fine for some time, but in the past 3-4 days they've stopped sending mails out.  Its a real pain as both are very busy business accounts, and I'm having to use webmail or iphone accounts to send out, which really doesn't look professional to clients.  Also makes a bit of a mockery of the BT service when you have to revert to a free service to bypass issues.

I'd be grateful to know about the fix mentioned about. 

Stephenc
Master User

Hi there,

This is quite a strange issue, only affects mail on apple and only on the new hub.  It seems to be the way mail searches for the dns.

There's three ways to fix this:

1) Specify dns on the mac:  Click the finder icon - apple - system preferences - network - (select either wireless or ethernet) - click advanced - click dns - click the plus - enter two dns servers, i.e. 62.6.40.162 and 194.72.9.34

2)  Change the hostname on the router:  Open safari - type in the address bar 192.168.1.254 - click settings - enter your password, click advanced settings - continue to advanced settings - business network and rename your mac in the network to something with one word and no puntuation, i.e rename unknown45:ae:01:ee to "Mac" or "laptop".

3)  Change the name of the mac:

Open a Terminal window and enter the following command "scutil --set HostName newhostname" replace newhostname with whatever you wish to call the Mac. Use the following requirements, it must begin with a letter and can contain letters and numbers. Try to keep it under 64 characters as well.
•    Click on the Apple icon, then System Preferences. In there, should be an option called Sharing. If not there will be a show all button at the top, click this, then click Sharing.
•    In the window this brings up click Edit
•    In the window this brings set the Local Hostname field to contain the exact same thing you set the hostname to in the terminal
•    Back into the System Preferences page and click on Network
•    Select the Location option at the top and in the menu that pops up click Edit Locations
•    Click the plus button and give the new location any name.
•    Once this is done the computer may loose all connectivity. If using Wi-Fi click on the Wifi option on the left of the network pane and it should reconnect to the network without having to re-enter security keys or anything.
•    If using Ethernet, it might just work, make sure Ethernets selected on the left and check through the advanced options, try doing DHCP release and renew etc.

Option 1 should work fine as long as the settings are not changed in future and BT do not retire the particular dns server you use.

Option 2 will work for the hostname you change (although may require a reboot) on the router it is connected too (if you connect to another hub 3 the hostname would need to be updated again).

Option 3 - (apple support should be able to help set this up if you are uncomfortablemaking the changes) should work for any connection as the issue primarily lies with the hostname on the machine.  Ensure there is no punctuation or spaces in the hostname.

Thanks,

Steve

gillsan

Hi

Just sorted this problem on 4 macs, it is to do with the computer names as other posts.

Make sure your name is simple in the:

System Preference - sharing - Computer name.

Use a simple name space are okay.

Then go to System Preference - Network - ethernet.

Configure: Using DHCP

I had mine on manual and this stoped me sending mail.

Hope this helps.

Auraengus
quick fix of mac computer name did it for me - BT home hub 3 just installed - failure to send emails through to my domain servers - fixed in 30 seconds -thanks a million.

Darsola
To Stephenc,
Tried option 1 and option 3. Worked like a dream.
I expect hundreds of people will have successfully followed your resolution and been so thankful, but not posted appreciation.
Can't thank you enough. Without people like you, offering their knowledge so selflessly, many people would be so frustrated for so much longer. Nice one Stephen. You're a star mate.

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Darsola,

I'm happy to have been of help.  Not everyone particularly liked the solution.  But for the vast majority of users, they work absolutley fine.

Thank you very much for the feedback.  Excellent news this worked for you.

Thanks,

Steve