cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT 2700HGV routing with 5 public IP's

davidgraham

Hi,

I've read through a lot of other posts here and hope I'm picking things up wrong (it wouldn't be the first time). I have a 2700HGV with 5 public IP's and recently upgraded our network from SBS2003 to SBS2008. The default setup in SBS2003 is a server with 2 NIC's, one had a public IP, the other in the range 192.168.16.x, with all client PC's in the same 192.168.16.x range. Windows mobile phones and iPhone's all set to servers public IP and worked just fine.

However, the default setup for SBS2008 is only 1 NIC, it is setup in the range 192.168.1.x, so all client PC's have now moved onto this new range. I had set the phones to access via the routers WAN IP address and this worked fine, until Saturday morning when the router decided to refresh it's WAN IP. I can see the current IP by going to Settings > Broadband > Status > Internet Details > Current internet connection > IP address , but this is the one that BT seem to keep changing. There is another public IP address in Settings > Broadband > Status > Public networks > Router address , this IP is in the same range as my 5 fixed IP's.

What I need to do is find a fixed IP I can use for the phones to access the server, this works Ok with the Current internet connection > IP address but as BT keep changing this it's not a long term solution. Can I somehow use the IP in the Settings > Broadband > Status > Public networks > Router address section, perhaps by using port forwarding, I've tried a few options but with no success so far. What I would really like to do is assign one of my fixed IP's to the server, but by mapping a public IP to a 192.168.1.x address, however I can't find a way to do this, and have read other posts saying this cannot be done with the 2700HGV.

Surely there's a way for me to have a server with a local IP, that can be accessed over the internet for e-mail, remote web workplace, outlook web access etc.

Thanks in advance

David Graham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

What you want to do is not possible with the BT router, you need a Vigor.  Check out something in the 2000 range, it uses IP aliasing and can do what you need.

Thanks

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

To use a 5 static package with a server you need to use 2 network cards.

If you have 1 network card then you could downgrade your package to 1 static IP and configure the router so the firewall allows all applications to the server, effectively a DMZ.

If you need further info on how to do this let us know.

Thanks.

davidgraham

I use some of the static IP's for other devices, security camera's and other controls equipment that connects to the internet. Why can the router not simply assign a public IP to an internal IP???

Thanks

David

spank
Grand Guru

When you enable public routing in the router you are activating the second subnet.  Assigning a computer locally with one of these addresses means it is no longer on the private subnet and will only be visible via the assigned IP.

Your internal network on 192 will still be able to see it but only on the static.  This can cause some problems but if your happy with that situation then that is an option.

Firstly make sure the server is set to DHCP.

Go to settings > broadband > link config > check 'enable public IP' and type in the static router address. Save.

Now when you click on settings > LAN > network allocation you have the full range of statics to assign to your internal PC's.  Make sure you have Address Assignment set to WAN IP mapping (you have to scroll up) and select a static from the list for your server.

Restart the server, or release/renew and that server is now public.  It works internally via netbios and the router bridges the two subnets so any internal PC's on 192 address will still see the server but on the static.  Surf to whatismyip.com just to be sure.

If the BT router did Mapping or Aliasing, as you asked in your first post this probably wouldn't be a problem for you but since it uses DHCP and netbios it can be confusing.

davidgraham

Hi,

still confused I'm afraid (it's not hard). I don't really want to try and move the server to a static public IP. Can I do anything with the following sections in the router setup (i've tried playing around with a few settings without any success yet) "settings > broadband > link configuration > public IP address > add additional network > router address" , this is set to a static IP but I cant seem to "connect" to anything by using this IP. Can I "forward" this static IP onto my private server IP somehow?

Alternatively, in the "settings > broadband > link configuration > Broadband IP network > IP addressing" section, can I change this from "obtain IP address automatically" to using one of my static IP's?

Thanks

David

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

What you want to do is not possible with the BT router, you need a Vigor.  Check out something in the 2000 range, it uses IP aliasing and can do what you need.

Thanks

davidgraham

Believe it or not I was looking through a copy of the manual for a draytek vigor 2820n when you posted your last comment, it looks as though it will do what I'm after. Is there any easy way I can tell if it's compatible with the BT broadband, or can I just assume that as it's pretty far ahead of the 2-wire technically that it will be ok (might need to open a new post for this).

Thanks again

David

spank
Grand Guru

It does work fine with the BT broadband, and the multiple statics.  The BT router is kind of limited to the type of networks it can integrate with where the Vigor is completely customizable.  It's cisco based so yes, it's way ahead of the 2-wire.

MetA

So can you confirm official BT position ?

The "BT Business Broadband" service as supplied does not work with the industry standard Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 configuration ?

I will certainly be making a claim for refund on the service I've foolishly purchased and struggled with on-line support trying to get working for weeks.

WHy is this not made clear on first contact with ANY statric IP configuration, 2wire POS and BT setup question ?

davidgraham
Meta, what I was told by BT tech support was that sbs 2008 can and will work fine with the 2700 as long as you only have 1 static IP. In this setup your router is static, and sbs can have a private IP with all traffic routed through. The problem occurs if you have the 5 or 13 static IP package, in this setup the routers IP will be dynamic so the only way to route traffic through is to give your sbs a public IP ( unless something could be done with dynamic DNS, I didn't go down this route). I ended up buying one of the draytek vigor 2820n routers and it really is a different beast. I now successfully have a dynamic router, but with 1 of my public IP's routed through to a 192.168.1.x address. It's a pity the BT option does not support this on a "Business" product. David