cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Wire 2701HGV-C Keeps loosing wireless connection

GarryatPenn

2 Wire 2701HGV-C Keeps loosing wireless connection, has been doing so for a while, i have tried loocking the wireless to just one channel but it still keeps happening. I have to power it off and on again to get working.Also i need help gettling bt faults to answer the phone as have spent hours on hold. as the router is less than a year old.

8 REPLIES 8

kimura
Super User

This could be the interference with your neigbors. Check your area on how many wireless networks are in range. Everyone of them must be set at channels 1,6 and 11 only. If you don't have control over that, just try those channels one at a time and see which setting gives you the optimum performance.

MHC
Guru

@kimura wrote:

This could be the interference with your neigbors. Check your area on how many wireless networks are in range. Everyone of them must be set at channels 1,6 and 11 only. If you don't have control over that, just try those channels one at a time and see which setting gives you the optimum performance.

What rubbish.    Why must they be set to 1, 6 & 11?    It may minimise interference but there is no MUST about it.

Also, why continuing propogating a myth?    If anything it as only four chnnels apart so, 1, 5, 9, 13 will suffice. Or 2, 6, 10 or 3, 7, 11 or 4, 8, 12.

As for the OPs problem - it is almost certainly a fault.   Download a copy of inSSIDer and use it to monitor just your SSID and see if it either switches channel or just dies. 

afh
I have had exactly the same problem, we live in a small village there is only one other wireless router nearby, bt is giving me the same rubish answer, I think the problem is with the router, at one point by operator told me they don't guarantee wifi connection!

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

@afh wrote:
I have had exactly the same problem, we live in a small village there is only one other wireless router nearby, bt is giving me the same rubish answer, I think the problem is with the router, at one point by operator told me they don't guarantee wifi connection!

Hi,

In some aspects we don't.  If you have a router that only transmits wireless for 10 feet in line of sight before the signal strength dies then it's a broken router, which we support.

If, however, there are dozens of possible points of interference in the vicinity, other wireless networks, and various other possibilities then no we don't.  Or more accurately we don't support all the possible environments wireless could be used in.

I have my own examples.  In our old house the room I used for my computer was in a small extension of the main house, which had REALLY thick outside walls.  I could get a wireless signal easily, except for in the extension, which was almost completely blocked out despite the router being less than 20 feet away from where I was sitting.

In my current house the router is in one corner and the bathroom is in the opposite corner.  Unsurprisingly I barely get a usable signal in the bathroom, and I don't have to worry too much about anyone stealing my wireless from outside, as the signal only gets about two feet past the outside walls.

So there you are, there's two examples for you.  There are many more.

Dave

afh
My routerlooses internet not connection, I have full reception in the office one meter away from the router, laptop shows fuul reception but no internet connection. If I connect the same laptop via Ethernet then I have full internet. Restting the router solves the problem. It has nothing to do with the distance, I read an article saying the these routers overload, they are not designed to handle several devices connected to them. Which make a mockery of bt's open zone policy for business users. I have switches off open zone. Is it possible to use other routers with bt?

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

That sounds like a rather odd scenario.  Have you tried resetting the wireless settings, or if that fails factory resetting the router?  Also there has been a known previous issue where the device list will not empty properly, which could cause issues and would need a reset.

Also even a BT router can handle a fair number of wireless devices, including Openzone, so it could well be a faulty bit of kit.  I've been told that in theory a Business Hub can handle up to 256 wireless devices, but I suspect it would have a fit if you tried.

I would say if a factory reset doesn't work then you would need to contact the Helpdesk and see about getting another one out.

Dave

MHC
Guru

I have just checked my 2701 and there are somewhere around 80 devices listed on the wireless side all with IP addresses with valid (unexpired) leases.   Not all are active at the same time but none fail to connect when required.

The problem reported is quite possibly PC related - I have one PC which at times will, on some (but not all) WAPs just decide it has had enough and I just cannot get it to connect but it will still connect wired.   A reboot of the router sorts it.

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Actually there is one other thing - What OS are the machines using?  I know that Windows 7, and to a lesser extent Vista, had some wireless issues, although if memory serves it was mostly not being able to see particular wireless networks.

Might be worth a check though.

Dave