cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

365 and Domains

lizb

I have just purchased various products from BT with the main aim of getting rid of our server which was a major overkill solution for our 2 home based office workers.  At the heart of this solution was 365.  So I spent a few days scratching my head and trying to figure out how to get things working and to link our existing domain and emails to no avail.  

Yesterday I was told that I could not have 365 and a domain which is hosted outside of BT.  

Is this really true, or do I now have to either ditch my current domain hosts which I am loath to do, or do I have to purchase a new domain and do some complicated relays

Needless to say I am not impressed with this as BT should have made this clear before I signed up

Can anyone advise please

7 REPLIES 7

rivalchild

Hi, you can have an externally hosted domain and the new office 365 servers and features using something called Smart Hosting.

Log into the "My Services" section on http://www.myoffice.bt.com using your primary email address (username@btconnect.com). On that page you'll see a section labelled "Domains" and within that there's an option "Use an externally hosted domain with BT Email or Web Hosting". You must obviously own this domain already bare in mind. There are also two links there for further assistance.

Hope this helps.

lizb

Thank you so much for that, the only problem is that I am now getting this message

"This domain name has already been configured by another BT account and cannot be added."

Now what do i do?

rivalchild

Sadly without the domain address I can't check anything specific. You can either PM me the domain and I'll have a look or call through to the technical help desk.

lizb

Looks like I was told complete rubbish by BT and they can do it after all.  Another 2 days lost.

Smiley Mad

rivalchild

Were you able to get it sorted out then? Sorry you were given the wrong information.

lizb

I hope so - but given the differences of opinion a 2nd opinion would be welcome. 

rivalchild

Just checked over the account and there is an issue on our side. I'm sending the problem to our back office team to get it fixed. I'll PM you the details. Sorry about all the hassle.