cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2 Regrade - slow connection

clinton

Hi, so today my ADSL2 was activated on my line, it was a fairly decent ADSL MAX up to 8mb, which I would get 7mb down on before the regrade.

This morning when I first checked the speed, I was getting about 17.5/0.9, but  since lunchtime only this painfully slow 287kbps down and 440kbps up

Now I know it's only the first day, but since this lunchtime the connection has stayed at 287Kbps Down and 440 up. Is this normal, will the connection improve on it's own, or should I be talking to somebody about it?

Here is the line stats, I reset the router to see If that would help, hence the low connection time.

Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 00:27:58
Downstream:287.1 Kbps
Upstream:440 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):30.1 dB / 28.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):19.3 dB / 9.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 11.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
17 REPLIES 17

firionicable
Power User

This has always been a problem when upgrading. The connection usually slows down and usually takes up to 5 business days. This happens a lot to me.

MHC
Guru

@firionicable wrote:

This has always been a problem when upgrading. The connection usually slows down and usually takes up to 5 business days. This happens a lot to me.

Total rubbish.

MHC
Guru

Clinton,

That looks like a fault to me.  You need to calll Tech Support as your line may need a profile reset.   With 30dB SNR - something is wrong and needs resetting.  Do not accept that you need to wait 10 days for stabilisation as the speeds are well away from what the line should support and at 287kbps is almost unusable.

clinton

Okay thanks, giving them a call now.

gouledw

it's a banded profile, usually removes itself within 3 - 5 days of stable connection

clinton

Well I'm not sure it would of removed itself after 5 days If I'd of just left it, also the fact it was such a low profile on a previously good line kind of hints at a problem.

I switched router from Business HUB3 to my old 2700, partly to rule out the new BH3 being duff, and partly because I know that the 2700 has training history, and I'm more familiar with the logs. Anyway the logs from last night show loads of errors and the router losing connection from about 02.30 to 05.00.

I have spoke to tech support once on Tuesday and then again yesterday afternoon for an update as nothing has changed, then this morning I received a text update saying that my fault raised had now changed to fault investigation.

So hopefully I will get some progress today, I really hope it is fixed by tomorrow as I have an important meeting online Friday evening.

MHC
Guru

When it is solved,  keep the 2700 on the line.     I feel it is a better device than the BH3 and will sync with a 3dB SNR and hold sync down to 0dB and occasionally below.

Just keep the BH3 as a back-up or use it as a second WAP.

clinton

Yea that sounds like a plan, the BH3 looks nice but the 2700 seems to have a lot more connection information available, and it's been a solid performer for the last couple of years.

MHC
Guru

Looks nice is one thing ... functionality, as you appreciate, is another!  

I have the 2701 on my Infinity connection along with two 2700s as WAPs.   In addition at my Scottish location I have two 2700s and several friends and colleagues have them too.

There are instructions in a pinned thread about converting a 2700 to a WAP - the method for a BH3 is similar just the page references/layout are different.