cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another one- static IP' s have stopped working

alexandali

I've recently got my client to start using some of the 16 static IP addresses that he has been paying BT for for several years - we now have a mailserver connected to it. It's taken me quite a lot of time, with all the relevant info coming from posts in this forum, but I finally got  it working 2 weeks ago using a Draytek 2820n modem, appropriaite settings, and for the last two week the mailserver has been - well - serving mail.

Today the IP address is not reponding, and the server is getting the router's autoconnect address not the static IP. Visiting the fault reporting page I go round in various loops and end up being told I need to take the line out of use and get a line test run. Of course the line is working fine for the rest of the PC's on dynamic addresses.And I see in this forum that I'm not the only one with a sudden loss of static IP's.

I'm not on site now, and I can't easily take the clients service down without some notice.

I'd appreciate it if someone in BT could point me at a way of getting this resolved

Thanks Alex

2 REPLIES 2

a-hill
Grand Master

When you say the server is getting the routers autoconnect address and not the static IP, this leads me to believe that you've manually entered one of the range into the WAN port of the router? Even though this may work, it's not a standard setup we would advise to use. Generally with multiple statics, your router will always receive a dynamic IP. If your router can't run multiple subnets, then it's best to set the routers local address as the gateway of your static range, set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.240, DHCP (if required) as your 13 available IP's and disable NAT on the router. Now assign the required IP directly to your mail server and that should do it. Assigning one of your range directly to the WAN port is not a guaranteed configuration and not one advised to use on a BT Business connection... if it works, fair enough, if it doesn't, not much we can do.

alexandali

Thanks for your update. As I understand it he Draytek 2820n router does allow multiple subnets, so I have set the router to use the normal NAT setting to map to 192.169.0.1, and the second address to the static IP address and subnet mask, and port, and opened the ports I need which are mapped to the external static IP . The client has more than 13 devices attached which makes using the full static address range a bit difficult. This setup worked fine initially. I need to try resetting the router which I should be able to do today.