cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign a static IP address as WAN address

mynton

Hello,

We have purchased 5 static IP addresses from BT for our BT Business Broadband service. I want to assign one of these addresses as a static WAN IP address, rather than the dynamic address currently assigned to the router. I don't seem to be able to do this in any of the router settings. The router is a BT Business Hub BT2700HGV.

I have found an option to assigned a WAN IP to individual devices by going to Settings > LAN > NAT & Address Allocation. However, when I select 'Public Fixed' as an IP address for a device, the settings menu defaults back to 'Router WAN Ip Address (Default)'. I following the instructions here. They don't appear to work.

Can anyone give me any information on how to correctly assigned a static IP address? This is important as a new contractor will only allow us to access their system with a pre-defined IP address.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Burkem5
Guru

Hi Mynton,

BT have specifically designed the multiple static IP product to prohibit this, 
IP's set to specific devices do become publically visible and pingable, but only when assigned to devices.

That said I have heard of customers who have successfully done this using Teir 3 routers, such as Cisco.

That said BT do not give any support for setting this up.

I am sorry I could not help further

Burkem5

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Burkem5
Guru

Hi Mynton,

BT have specifically designed the multiple static IP product to prohibit this, 
IP's set to specific devices do become publically visible and pingable, but only when assigned to devices.

That said I have heard of customers who have successfully done this using Teir 3 routers, such as Cisco.

That said BT do not give any support for setting this up.

I am sorry I could not help further

Burkem5

mynton

This is somewhat ludicrous when you consider that if we had just one static IP address, it would be possible.

If you could provide an explanation to help us understand the reasoning behind this policy I would be grateful. It doesn't make any sense as far as we can see.

mynton

*bump*

adrianc
Master User

Hi,

It makes sense if you think about it in terms of where the public-facing edge of the network sits.  If you want the router to be public-facing, get a single IP and do port forwarding from there.  If you need more than one public IP address, then traffic goes _through_ the router (which appears to the outside world to just be another hop along the way) to your public-facing servers.

Assigning one of the public addresses to the router would make it part of its own secondary network.

As to the problem where you can't assign the public IP to any of the devices, this sometimes happens on the 270x routers.  Usually clearing the device list sorts it out.

AC