cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Hub & strange wireless behaviour

shemiltwilliams

Just wondering if its just us or has anyone else had the following:

BT business hub 3, working with wireless devices happily for several months after 1st signing up.  Then, signal drops out all the time or pages take ages to load.  Several calls to helpline to be told no guarentee wireless will work, it's in the T&C's, sorry old chum!  It must be your thick walls, interfearence from something, static cat, any thing except us.  They can't even guarentee wireless if I upgraded to infinity, so I won't be doing that.

Any way, after changing channels, a new hub etc, etc, no improvement.  Until I put an old Draytek router on, and yippee, it works, it's happy, fast and dosent drop out.  I had to return the Draytek to its owner and thought about buying one.  The strangest thing, the BT Hub 3 has been kicked into life and is happy, well for 3 weeks anyway, now it's up to it's old tricks again.   So I'm going to borrow the Drayteck again and see if it give it the kick it obviously needs again.

I'll buy a draytek soon, but was just wondering if anyone else has had this strange thing happen?

2 REPLIES 2

Sogo7
Grand Master

The reailities of WiFi are very differernt than the advertising spin and whilst the BTHub3 & newer hub4 offerings have the overtures slick design they really would benefit from a larger antenna or two, preferably external and moveable. Even a little 4"  inch (9db gain) antenna will work exceptionally well in a domestic enviroment.

NB: When I say antenna I rally do mean a proper dipole-antenna not a cheap bit of plastic with a strand of wire inside.

Lovelogic.net UK Jobs Scanner

MHC
Guru

@Sogo7 wrote:

The reailities of WiFi are very differernt than the advertising spin and whilst the BTHub3 & newer hub4 offerings have the overtures slick design they really would benefit from a larger antenna or two, preferably external and moveable. Even a little 4"  inch (9db gain) antenna will work exceptionally well in a domestic enviroment.

NB: When I say antenna I rally do mean a proper dipole-antenna not a cheap bit of plastic with a strand of wire inside.

What you really mean is an efficient antenna.

The problem with any antenna with "gain" is that it is directional and whilst they might be higher signal strength in one area they wil also be "not spots".