cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT OpenZone / BT Fon Android App

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Can a Mod please forward this to the right department. Openzone Support say it should be BT Mobile.

(Tim! Tim! - are you there?)

I’m a small business user of 2.5 years standing; account is dongle with inclusive OZ minutes.

For the last 6 months I’ve been using the BT Openzone app on my android for out and about Openzone access. It’s perfect; with my details embedded OZ user management of logon and logoff is very straightforward and the little BT world icon only shows in the top bar when I’m logged on.

Last week the Openzone App indicates that an update is available so I update. What happened was that the BT Openzone app was replaced with the BT Fon app (and BT Openzone was deleted). My user credentials were taken across to the FON app and it looked OK but what I find is:

• Auto logon within OZ wi-fi catchment is set to default; not a major problem as I found the option to set it to manual.
  • There doesn’t appear to be a manual disconnect option (confirmed to me by Openzone Support). It times out after 15 minutes of non-use (here we go – it’s sucking up my minutes!).
  • The Fon logo is always shown in the top bar – whether you are logged on or not; so it's not possible to confirm that I am genuinely logged off?

I want the BT Openzone app back. I do a check and see that the BT Openzone app is in the app market. Delete BT Fon and commence an install of BT Openzone  BUT!!!!!

BT Openzone app now wants to authenticate me:

• does it use my BT username and password – NO
  • does it use my BT Business Account detail and (maybe) billing  Postcode – NO
  • does it use my Openzone account references – NO

what it does - it sends an interrogation SMS to the phone number that I have registered in my account detail; I receive the SMS and cos it’s not a BT mobile number it fails their authentication; end result is no Openzone App!

OZ support tell me that my BT Mobile Business Account doesn’t fit within the Business Model target users (my words) for the BT Fon app and that I should not be using it.  I should use the Openzone app or login/out via android browser. Browsers are poor in management control of login and out – the Openzone app is absolutely fine and I’d like it back please.

So BT; what do you suggest to resolve and put me back to where I was before the update (and enhance my “journey”)

3 REPLIES 3

gsharp

Hello Seraphsailor.

Sorry for the problems you have been experiancing, if you contact the business mobile helpdesk on 0800 678 1030 they can assist you with that app. however i think what you realy need is the correct login details for your openzone account which you can get by calling the openzone team on 0800 022 3322

Thanks for letting us know about this issue

Graeme

BT Business Support Forum Moderator

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the info; the phone number routes me through to Openzone Support – I spoke to them yesterday and got nowhere.

I know all my login details

Let’s look at the BT Openzone App;

it declares: This application is designed for BT Business Mobile customers to use their unlimited WiFi minutes. (we all know that the use of the word “unlimited” infers “fair usage”)

Now let’s look at my BT contract/service;

it’s BT Business Mobile Broadband which you can see in here:

http://business.bt.com/mobile/mobile-email/?s_cid=btb_CFURL_business/mobile

so the app is for me.

The previous version of the app worked for me; 10 out of 10 marks for an excellent product. Now BT make a change/update the app and now I can’t use it cos BT introduce just one authentication feature which is BT mobile phone related – so nothing that relates to a BT Business Mobile Broadband account at all!

So introduce another authentication option which IS account related; eg: the answer to my account security question, or my birthdate, or the last 4 digits of the bank direct debit.

If you can pass this on to BT Openzone App Development then they will recognise the issue and maybe we can get somewhere.

Cheers,

Steve

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Whilst I've made some progress with BT re my issues with this upgrade it seems I am not alone:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/Unable-to-Connect-to-BT-Fon-following-update-of-Android-App-...