cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT connect email address problems

Kate_R

BT connect email address
Strange problem - we have been successfully using a btconnect.com email address for years and recently accessing emails through outlook app on two phones. My phone had to be repaired & when it came back I was unable to use the app, the password wasn't recognised and I was unable to change it. Eventually I managed to get onto it but then the next day it was asking me to sign in again but the app didn't recognise the new password but wouldn't allow me to change it. After several hours on the phone to BT I can now sign into MyBT but can't get any emails. I have now been told that our account is a residential but the email address is a business one so its not possible to have that email address connected to a residential account. It has been this way for at least 3 years without a problem and now it won't work and I can't access any emails.
Any suggestions please

3 REPLIES 3

RyanJames
BT Employee
BT Employee

Hi Kate

A BTConnect email would indeed be a business email address - but that would need to be tethered to an active broadband service or webhosting service to work usually. Do you have no other BT Business products other than the email?

I think what we would need to do is check if that BTConnect is active on the business side, which you can do by giving us a call on 0800 800 154. As long as it is active we should be able to resolve any sort of password issue to get you access to the emails. If you give the technical team a call they can check all that for you and hopefully can get you back up and running ASAP 🙂

Regards

Ryan

AndrewE

I have encountered a very similar problem on 5/11/2020.

I have a btconnect email address which I have been using for 21 years since 1999 on the same BT home number.

Today my computer email has been unable to connect to the server, and asks for my password. When I enter the correct password, -- written down in 1999 and used since -- it refuses the password. This morning I was able to find emails on the OFFICE365 server, but this afternoon OFFICE365 has started to reject the password.

Around 16.00 today, I rang BT for help. I encountered an operative on the residential side, who did her best, but then said she needed to transfer me to business. I was put back into a queue, and after a long time a person answered who turned out to be residential. I was given the number to dial 0800 800 154 and after another long wait I got through........ to residential. I have been round the loop about 4 times now. The business numbers never get to a business person. The residential persons either drop me back into a queue or tell me they'll "put me through". 

It is now 19.20 on 5 November. The last 'residential" said he would transfer me at 18.11.

In total, I have been trying for 3.5 hours to reach someone who can deal with my problem.

AndrewE

I've spent another hour or so on this, this evening. An operative promised to put me through to Business. It rang for ages with no answer. Tried again.  A lady in Dublin told me that Business closes at 18.00. 

I pointed out that I had been "put through" by other BT colleagues at 18.11 and about 19.15. Also the website business.bt.com/help/contact gives the number as 24/7.

After going to talk to someone, the Dublin lady confirmed that it is indeed 24/7.

The question was how to get through. She told me the number should be 152. I pointed out that the website says 154.

Anyway I tried 0800 800 152 with very similar results. The number is answered by someone who can't help because they don't have access to "Business" accounts. 

Then one of two things happens. (1) They put you into a menu system and 10 or 15 minutes later you do it all again. Occasionally you might get a "faults" person, who still cannot help (2) THey "put me through" on an internal line, number not divulged. This rings out indefinitely. There is no information about your position in the queue or the time to an answer.

This is certainly the worst service I have ever encountered. The information on the BT website does not work. It is not even possible to talk to anyone competent to help with the problem, let alone solve it.