cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt2700hgv content filtering

Glenn

Hi,

I've tried looking for this info here and on the web with no success so I'm after some expert advice!

A relative of mine runs a children's soft play area for which he has a BT2700HGV router with no user manual. I've managed to access the 'home' page and set an admin password with no problems. The bit that's stumped me is the difference between the level 1 and level 2 content filtering. Could anybody please explain the difference between the two and what sort of sites would be affected by one and not the other. It's really important that I get this bit right as there will be children of young ages around. The end user will likely be young mothers / fathers so they will be most likely general surfing and social net-working sites.

If anybody can enlighten me or give me a link to an on-line manual would be most grateful.

Thanks, Glenn.

5 REPLIES 5

MHC
Guru

Level 1 and Level 2 filtering:    There can be a lot of difference or almost none.  It is up to you to choose what you want in each of them.   You then apply the appropriate one to each computer.

For example:   Gambling - you would block it in Level 1 which you would apply to your children's PCs at home whereas for your PC you may wish to have it enabled.

At the play area you would want to set up Level 1 to bar everything except maybe:  Education, Food&Drink, Games, Kids Sites, Search Engines and Web Based email.  Apply that to the connected PCs.  

Then set up Level 2 with the same sites allowed and add in any additional appropriate ones and apply this to the Admin PC which only your friend has access to.

At the bottome of the page is the facility to add specific sites - which may come under the barred category but may be appropriate or a site you wish to bar which is in an approved category.

Glenn

Appreciate the response.

If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying that level 2 is actually a lower level of filtering than level 1. Or is it an additional level of filter on top of level 1- if enabled. Can you clarify that bit please?

I get the bit about applying it to the various connected devices, that's no problem.

Thanks, Glenn.

MHC
Guru

I beleieve they are totally seperate and can be completely different - the naming Level1 and Level2 is a little confusing and maybe they should be called ContentFilter A and ContentFilterB

My example showed 2 to be lower than 1 but they could, I believe, be the other way round.   Level2 is not reliant on Level1 or teh other way round.

Glenn

Again, appreciate the response.

I think a little trial and error may be the best course of action here. Your initial response in applying the filters to the categories you mentioned sounds like the most important part. I'll see what gets through when I apply level 1 and 2 after that.

Thanks for your time. I think BT are a bit slow on the uptake when a) you have to wait forever on a technical support line and not go through, b) they cant put instructions on their on-line user guide and c) you have to rely on the help and the experiences of the on-line community to help out.

JohnE
Guru

Glenn, as a forum moderator, I'm very proud of our community, particularly when it comes up with practical solutions to problems, it's kind of the whole point of these forums, really.

As for contacting the helpdesk, unfortunately, we are sometimes very busy, particularly during Business hours although, when it comes to technical support, you have the choice to Contact Us via Phone, E-mail and Live chat.