cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run 2 Domains from 1 hosting package?

GloriaF

I have been running one domain for the last 16 months and have now bought a new domain and want to host it on the same site, is this possible and if so how do i set it up.

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dave
Guru

Officially, no it can't be done and you would need a second hosting package.

However, it can be sort of done using a workaround, although this may not be ideal - to do this you would put the site in a subdirectory of your existing space eg www.firstdomain.com/seconddomain and forward the second domain to this.

However, the drawback of this is that people will still see the true address of www.firstdomain.com/seconddomain when hovering over links, etc so it is not really that great if you want the second site to be completely independent from the original.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dave
Guru

Officially, no it can't be done and you would need a second hosting package.

However, it can be sort of done using a workaround, although this may not be ideal - to do this you would put the site in a subdirectory of your existing space eg www.firstdomain.com/seconddomain and forward the second domain to this.

However, the drawback of this is that people will still see the true address of www.firstdomain.com/seconddomain when hovering over links, etc so it is not really that great if you want the second site to be completely independent from the original.

GloriaF

Thank you Dave, you have answered my question perfectly Smiley Very Happy

mattspchelp

Theres a better way than that,use php to read the refferal domain

Forward the domain to say 66.102.123.104/index.php , the adress line will read as your domain name and the index.php will use the refferal header to load what domain it has been reffered by,

Forward the domain to say 66.102.123.104/index.php , the adress line will read as your domain name and the index.php will use the refferal header to load what domain it has been reffered by,

test.com >>66.102.123.104 >>66.102.123.104/test