cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to edit text in product description in preview mode

18ME
Power User

I wanted to add the same text to all products in one catagory and thought that you can go into preview mode from the catagory tab and edit directly, which would be quicker than going into each product from the products tab.

I've looked at the help topics and it says that you can edit text, this is what it says:

"The right side of the page shows the current structure element in a page preview. Some of the elements in the content area are highlighted by a dashed border, and can be edited directly. These include the areas used to upload images, as in the image gallery, or text fields for names and descriptions. For more information on uploading images, see Uploading images, above. Click a text element to activate and edit it. In the page preview, there are two types of editable text field:"

...but I don't get a dashed border anywhere within the content area.

Can anyone help?

www.broadwaycookshop.co.uk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

18ME
Power User

I have managed to edit in preview mode.

My problem was that when I went into the back office using the username and password it wouldn't let me use preview mode editing but now that I can log in through myoffice it now lets me edit in preview mode.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

orchie
Grand Master

Hi 18ME,

It seems to work fine with me. As you described, enter 'Preview' mode, select the category whose products you wish to edit and then select the product. The product should load up in the corresponding panel and you can then edit the name and description by clicking into them.

If this isn't working my first guess is perhaps it's a browser issue? What are you using? (BTW - FF 3.5/Chrome 2/Safari 4 work much faster than IE)

Are you able to edit any text in 'preview' mode?

Orchie

ps - A small tip, you can edit the 'layout' of the product image and text in preview mode by clicking the Product Details link in the top ribbon, you configure it to be: product image on right/text on left, product image on left/text on right, etc

18ME
Power User

Hi Orchie,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3.53 and when I click to the preview just before the page loads I can see the editing tabs at the top but when the page finishes loading most of them disappear, like the edit, font, paragraph and insert. So no, I can't edit any text whatsoever in preview mode. I may try one of the other browsers (whats Chrome like?) to see if any of those help.

Internet Explorer is useless as it won't even load the preview page.

Thanks again.

Martin

orchie
Grand Master

Hi 18ME,

It might be the editing help has been turned off? This is little dashed box 'editing help', in top left of the ribbon, under the saved icon. If there's a red cross in the box you dont see the dashed lines...

Make sure you definitely click into each text box to edit. Also some things can't be edited e.g. you can't click into the product image so make sure it's an 'editable' field you're clicking into.

As for browsers, Chrome 2 is a good alternative to FF but I think Safari 4 is possibly better (for eShop), it's javascript engine is very good. Check the above before downloading another browser.

Hope this helps, Orchie

18ME
Power User

Yes, the edit box is turned on. By clicking the edit box doesn't do anything other putting a red cross inside it. I've tried clicking everywhere in and around the product description text but nothing happens, no dashed lines anywhere to be seen.

I've now tried it in Google Chrome and thats the same.

eShopTeam
Master User

Hi 18ME,

Please make sure that java and java script, as well as the flash player plugin is enabled in your web browser. If this is the case and the preview mode is not working, please log a support incident with our support line and include information on your computers operating system version and the browser versions.

Sincerely, 

The eShop Team

18ME
Power User

I have managed to edit in preview mode.

My problem was that when I went into the back office using the username and password it wouldn't let me use preview mode editing but now that I can log in through myoffice it now lets me edit in preview mode.