cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get Static IP Address

deel

For weeks now I have been trying to change from dynamic IP addressing to a single static IP address.  What happens each time I call is probably a familiar story to readers of this forum:  I call, BT answers, I explain the problem, BT says OK we'll do that for you, nothing happens.  Can anybody tell me what's going on ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a-hill
Grand Master

Just to answer the immediate issue, you can actually order a static IP yourself from the BT portal. Login with your primary BT Connect email address and password. Go to Manage Services at the top then go to Connection Settings on the main page. You will show as having a dynamic IP with the option to change, from there you should be able to choose a single static IP address. Once completed, you will be shown what your new IP address is... a simple reboot of the router should pick up the new IP address.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

a-hill
Grand Master

Just to answer the immediate issue, you can actually order a static IP yourself from the BT portal. Login with your primary BT Connect email address and password. Go to Manage Services at the top then go to Connection Settings on the main page. You will show as having a dynamic IP with the option to change, from there you should be able to choose a single static IP address. Once completed, you will be shown what your new IP address is... a simple reboot of the router should pick up the new IP address.

deel

Tried this several times over the last few weeks.  This is what I get:

Sorry, we have a technical problem.

The following error has occurred. ErrCode: BOSERR_2252 - 3007002. You may be asked to provide this detail if you report this fault.

Sorry there was a problem taking your order. This is normally a result of congestion.

If you are seeing this screen for the first time please take a note of the error code, wait at least half an hour & try to submit your request again.

If you are seeing this screen for a second time please follow the guidance below.

Customers placing Broadband orders, please contact our Sales advisors on 0800 400 400.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

Sales advisors / partners please provide a completed CRF to pre-sales support.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

a-hill
Grand Master

I've sent you a private message deel.

deel

After five months it appears that a problem that we have been having has been solved and I thought that I should post the solution in case anybody else is in the same boat.

Last October we were upgraded to ADSL2 and sent a new hub to replace our old faithful modem that we had been using successfully for about seven years to provide remote access to our office network.  We configured the hub to allow remote desktop connection but found that periodically the remote PC could not connect to the office server.  We assumed that this was because the IP address had changed (we were always on dynamic IP addressing) and there is another thread on this subject.  Eventually we were persuaded to change to a static IP address and I have to say that without the help of a-hill on this forum we might still not have achieved even this.

However we found that the problem persisted; even with a static IP address periodically the remote desktop connection could not be made.  It now appears that this is because our office server is allowed to go into standby mode; by disabling standby mode we have, for the first time in five months, been able to access the office server remotely for several days without disruption. 

This is such a simple solution.  Surely we should be told that if the hub is replacing an old fashioned BT modem and you need remote access then you must disable standby mode ?  That statement would have saved us (and BT) five months of nuisance.

lukudav

Very droll. The site that enables (perhaps) you to do this has been down for at least a day.

BT "support" are always "very busy" and never phone back. Quite why I pay £25 per month for this "service" is beyond me - might as well go to one of the cheap ISPs

Added later ... Oops. I should have read the whole thread. It looks like the site has been down for MONTHS, not days. Lucky I didn't keep on trying wasn't it.

JohnE
Guru

I am very sorry that some of you have had difficulty with using the My Office website, particularly for ordering additional services such as Static IP addresses.  There are occasions when the on-line ordering systems are off-line but difficulties with this site are usually associated with browser compatibility.  One known issue is with Internet Explorer 8/9, where Compatibility view should be used.  The technical helpdesk can usually advise about such things as enabling scripting or compatibility mode.

If the difficulty persists, then you should contact Business Sales; Contact Us..