cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused over personal domain

snapey

I have a customer that has extensively publicised their @btconnect email address.

Then of course they get the Upgrade to office 365 email.

They have a domain name already, website and various email forwarders on that domain - all hosted with another provider.

After discussing the upgrade with my customer we agreed that they would be just as happy with the Lite mailboxes. On Friday 26th I called BT and said that the account was due to be upgraded on Monday 29th and could we stop that and just convert the premium mailbox back to a Lite account.

The call centre person said 'it was complicated' and that I should give her my details and someone would call back on the 29th.

Well, of course, it got to 4:30pm and still no call from BT, so I called them again. I was concerned about the warnings of loss of email if we did nothing. This time, after much 'please hold I'll check....' I was told that "no need to worry, the account will be upgraded to office 365 and you will still have your @btconnect.com account".

I took some convincing, but after 24 minutes on the phone I decided to concede that I wasn't getting any where asking for more clarity so just had to wait and see.  The guy in the call centre said it can take up to 72 hours to migrate the account once they start but there should be no loss of email !  We should look out for an email with new connection details.

So, basically, I was being told that what is on the Upgrade Centre website about needing a personal domain is wrong. The claim is that the upgrade can happen and the only effect on the customer is a need to change email client settings.

Watch this space....

3 REPLIES 3

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Snapey,

Yeah that is correct, if you are happy with lite mailboxes then you do not need a domain name.

If you did need a premium licence then you would need a domain name, so on the day, it should just be a matter of updating your mail client settings.

Thanks,

Steve

snapey

The customer has one premium mailbox now, and is paying extra for it.  All I wanted to do is downgrade to all Lite accounts, but every person I have spoken to has a different view of what is possible and the best process for completing it.

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Snapey,

If they're looking to cancel the premium licence, it depends on the licence, if they are still on orgainise and share from the old platform, login to myoffice.bt.com - manage services - email - highlight user - edit licence - select email lite.

If they are on the new platform its a bit more complicated, ensure the email is backed up on a PC or outlook, then call the helpdesk - 0845 600 7020, they will most likely transfer you, at this point we will take a note of the time, at some point later the email address will be deleted and recreated as a light user, everything after the time noted above will then be redilevered to ensure nothing is lost.  We then need to cease the office 365 for small business licence.

Thanks,

Steve