cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two wireless routers together - wirelessly

Giles

I want to connect two wireless routers devices together, but am unable to use wires.

I have a BT2700HGV connected to the internet.  I have a Netgear GD834GT in anothe rpart of the building being used as dedicated a wireless adapter.  The PC close to the BT hub can see the Netgear.  However, not sure how I get the Netgear recognised on the network without a wired connection.   Any assistance would be appreciated.

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a-hill
Grand Master

You need to have 2 routers that support WDS and can be used as a repeater, I believe there's custom firmware for the Netgear that will allow this functionality, but unfortunately the 2700 doesn't have WDS so it won't work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Relic

An access point is a gateway to a wired network (you shouldnt be trying to wifi one AP to another AP).

Normally you'd plug both in a switch and give them the same SSID.

Make sure that the channel numbers are 5 apart.

22mhz per channel with 5mhz spread....you'll get interferance if you dont spread the channels 25mhz apart.

You also want the access point range to overlap by at least 15%.

a-hill
Grand Master

You need to have 2 routers that support WDS and can be used as a repeater, I believe there's custom firmware for the Netgear that will allow this functionality, but unfortunately the 2700 doesn't have WDS so it won't work.

Giles

Thanks for this response

Giles

Thanks for this