cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed Limited at the DSLAM

TonyGate

Hi,

Not sure how to proceed, as BT tell me there is nothing wrong!

Back in August, FTTC became available in my area, I ordered an Infinity 2 package based on the DSL Checker stating that I could get up to 44Mps. I work from home, so the extra speed would be useful.

When I got connected, I was getting around 41Mps, and obviously expected a few variations during the training period.

I have a FritzBox 7490, which helpfully gives me all sorts of data about my connection.

On reviewing this data, I saw that I was having lots of errors and disconnects, and DLM was applied to both upstream and downstream connections. I reported a fault to BT.

A very nice Openreach chap came on a Sunday and was able to detect a problem in a sunken chamber about 150m from the house. The following day another Openreach chap fixed the fault and suddenly the errors dropped dramatically and no more disconnects. It has taken a further 2 weeks but now the DLM has been removed from both upstream and downstream.

However, I can see from the FritzBox that the DSLAM connection is limited to 40000kbit/s, so however good my connection, I am limited to 38Mbps, i.e. Infinity 1. 

I contacted online support at BT, but the chap was quite rude and stated that I was getting a good speed, and I should not contact them about this again. All I asked was for the DSLAM Limit to be raised to 80000kbit/s, as I had paid for Infinity 2. He also told me that I shouldn't expect more and not to contact them again about this issue.

Anyone know how I can get the DSLAM limit raised? I am not expecting to get 76Mbps, as I am about 500m from the cabinet. I feel a bit cheated about paying for Infinity 2 when I can only currently get Infinity 1 speeds. 

On another note, I note that the DSLCHECKER has revised the figures down to match the speeds I am receiving today! So the 44Mbps has dropped to 39.9Mbps (what a coincidence....)

1 REPLY 1

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there @TonyGate 

What would be best is to go via the livechat section of the contact us page then copy and paste the following.

Given wrong package: Have been sold infinity op 2 (up to 80Mbps) which did initially work, after fault speeds were limited to infinity op 1 (up to 40Mbps) can you please speak with the network faults team and have them check that Option 2 is being provided by your suppliers (BT Wholesale).    This is not a mis-sale as infinity did at one point work at op 2.

Tell them that this is the advice that was given to you on the forum and if they need any more advice to drop my username burkem5 into our Internal IM and this will connect them directly with me,  i will be able to point them in the right direction.

Hope this helps

Burkem5