cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulties in sending .btconnect emails from I-Pad 2

SB2

Having been advised of correct I-Pad settings by BT Business (£25 per half hour),also advised by Apple support in store and online and also by our company IT experts, it has taken me 10 days to get some reasonable degree of usability,but still unsatisfactory. 

1) I-Pad will not send bt.connect e-mails from my wifi connection on my broadband business line although it does

send from a wifi router in the same building connected to a Talk Talk line.  The BT settings have been checked

and treble checked by BT, apple and our own IT people. 

The message is "Cannot Send Emails  The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.btconnect.com" failed.   

additional outgoing mail servers can br configured in settings  Mail Contacts Calendars".  Have also been advised

to try mail.btconnect.com which generates the same message.

It does receive btconnect e-mails though.  

BT Business have been unable to help or resolve.

2)  The I-Pad has not been able to send on via 3G bt.connect e-mails until yesterday , when I spoke the the

provider of the sim "Three" who advised me that I needed to configure the "Three" server details on to the

I-Pad and that now works. Neither BT Business, nor Apple (who sold me the card) were able to advise me of 

this.   I do, however, need to turn smtp.btconnect.com off in the I-Pad settings if I am using 3G otherwise

it will not send the bt.connect e-mails

Yours "frustrated"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

spank
Grand Guru

Just to add to that...I've been able to do this by creating 2 SMTP servers on the ipad, one with the user name and password populated with the btconnect email and password and the other with both boxes blank.  SSL off, port 25 on both. (not aware of port 465)

If it can't send on the primary it automatically tries the others.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MHC
Guru

In relation to point 2, I am surprised that support did not tell you straight away that away.   It is well known that you cannot send through some thrid party connections using the outgoing BT server.    The reason given is that it help to supress spamming.

I had the same problem 18 months back - but knew the cause and it took a matter of seconds to resolve.     BT provided me with a 3G modem when my line was taken out by a car and has a forecast 16 week repair time and I had to send via O2.

SB2

Thanks - It would be good to know which third party connections will happily use the outgoing BT server in which case I would change my 3g sim to that provider because now every time I want to use 3G or Wifi you have to go through

the proceedure of turning servers on and off

MHC
Guru

Just thinking about your first problem too ...   

I have seen several iPads with wireless issues.     My neighbour has one - it will not connect to his BT Home Hub,  but will connect to one of my BT Business hubs but not another.     Another iPad will connect to his Home Hub, but not to the Business Hub ...

Gut feel is that the issues are with iPads rather than teh BT hubs.

SB2

Sending bt.connect e-mails from I-Pad 2

Having now used the I-Pad 2 for a further week, spoken on numerous occasions to Apple, BT Business and Three I have now found an acceptable method or it to operate on both WiFi and Sim card.

1) To send e-mails on Wifi

-  Switch WiFi on

-  In Outgoing Primary Server Settings enter smtp.btconnect.com

-  Leave user and password blank

-  SSL off

-  Port 465

-  Switch all secondary outgoing servers to off

1) To send e-mails on Sim card

-  Switch Wifi off

-  Delete smtp.btconnect.com from Primary Server Settings

-  Enter in Primary Server Settings, the sim provider's outgoing server details

(for three that is smtp-mbb.three.co.uk)

-  Leave user and password blank

-  SSL off

-  Port 25

-  Switch all secondary outgoing servers to off    

My understanding is that the I-Pad 2 should automatically switch seemlessly from WiFi to Sim without having to

change outgoing Primary Server Settings by simply leaving secondary server addresses switched on, however,

this certailnly does not work on mine.

Hope this may be of some help to others

SB2  

spank
Grand Guru

Just to add to that...I've been able to do this by creating 2 SMTP servers on the ipad, one with the user name and password populated with the btconnect email and password and the other with both boxes blank.  SSL off, port 25 on both. (not aware of port 465)

If it can't send on the primary it automatically tries the others.

stifftrousers

hi Spank - I had the same problem but I think the answer is even simpler:

You need to input your username (i.e. username@btconnect.com) and password for the pop3 server settings but for the outgoing setting, the only thing that you need to specify is the smtp server name: smtp.btconnect.com

Just leave the username and password fields blank (they are optional) and it should work because the smtp server doesn't do authentication.

It worked Ok for me anyway. i.e. I only have one pop3 and smtp server specified for my btconnect mailbox.

cheers

Steve