cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email relay issue

Brightfuture

Hope someone at BT can help with this.

I am a support provider for a business user.
People sending email to them are getting the DNR message shown below.

They are using Google Apps mail. There is no usage of BT email at all in their organisation.
All MX records within their domain are set correctly. There is no reference at all to any BT servers.
It would seem that the senders having the problem are also BT users.
The senders are able to send email to other recipients no problem. just not my customers.
I am a BT user and I can send email to them. Just some other BT users can't.
Is this a routing problem?
If it's a relay server issue, how come I can send email to them as a BT user?

Please help as this is becoming embarrasing now.

Generating server: c2beaomr06.btconnect.com

xxxx@xxxxx.co.uk
smtpin.btconnect.com #<smtpin.btconnect.com #5.1.1 SMTP; 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay forxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk> #SMTP#
6 REPLIES 6

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Brightfuture,

Thank you for getting in touch and buy putting xxxx for the email address getting the message.  I have sent you a private message, can you respond to this, so we can look at this for you.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

afw

i have the same problem, cannot receive emails on any of our bt based email address's, contacted bt 3 times no response, it seems to be a forwarding problem, i think, any way no emails for the past week and i am now looking to move my accounts next week.

PhilipM

This seems related to a post I recently made in which a newly created e-mail address of mine linked to my website  but using my website's custom domain  cannot receive e-mail from outside bt receiving the " Relay Access Denied message". Is this something to do with the link to Microsoft Office 365?? I think I am mostly all right for the server settings you advise except that Windows Live Mail does not give a tls option.

PhilipM

My normal bt e-mail address which I have had for many years works fine.

I am just complaining about the 2 new addresses I am trying related to my website.

The ***** @btconnect.com new e-mail works  OK but the

*****@mydomain.co.uk one  does not giving the " SMTP diagnostic: 550 5.4.1 Relay Access Denied " will send but not receive mail? The my domain there was put in by the software - it is my domain ( nominet registered ) but not that one!

Get this sorted quick or I might migrate the website elsewhere  - though I would stay with you for my primary e-mail!

Burkem5
Guru

Hi Guys, 

In order to get these issues resolved I would ask you to contact us

this way we can get all the information from you,  as we are obviously limited in what information you can give us on a public forum.

Thanks

Burkem5

Burkem5
Guru

Hi Bright future,

Just thought of this when answering another post

If you go to mxtoolbox and enter your domain name can you see a record marked IBMR.BTCONNECT.COM  ?

It may be that when trying to send to you the email sees this now dead end route and does not send,  this should not be an issue as the IBMR record will be set to be a last resort record and should not be used,  that said I have seen this cause issues before.

If this is the case I would ask you to contact us so we can fix this.

Thanks

Burkem5