cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server

Rivertechltd

Hello

I am going to need some help to jog my memory on configuring my exchange server 2013 to send and receive emails. It has been a long time since I have set up MX records and need to remember what I need and how to set it up! I will also need some guidance on setting up the BT Hub 3 for the static IP's and to let the mail through.

I want to send inbound/outbound email direct, the domain is with another ISP as this is my hosting servce and I can set up the MX stuff, I just cannot remember what I need to set up!

Can any one help?

6 REPLIES 6

Rivertechltd

I should also mention I am Using MS Server 2012 Standard and Exhcange 2013!

Rivertechltd

how do you set up DNS and the IPS to configure inbound and outbound emails 🙂

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Rivertechltd,

Generally for inbound mail, you'd want to point your MX records to something like mail.mydomainname.com "mydomainname" being your own domain name and then setting up an A record of "mail" pointing to your mail servers ip address.

Outbound mail, ensure your server is configured correctly then contact your ISP to setup reverse dns on your static ip address, if this is BT email reverse.dns@btbroadbandoffice.com with your static ip address, domain name and primary email address and they will get this setup for you.

Thanks,

Steve

Rivertechltd

Just noticed a reply to this email. Sadly this did not work at all and the domain in question is not hosted by BT.

I have now tried to set this up again and as you say have a fixed IP with BT and setup the mail.domainname.com to point to this.

The issue I am having now is I do not receive any mail to this domain at all but can send ok, when i try to connect mobile devices to the email server it reports the IP adress does not respont in a timely manner.......

Would it be easier to transfer the domain over to BT and then relay email to the server would this be an easier way? I am not sure my current suplier knows enough about MX DNS and Reverse DNS as this issue has been going on for ages!

Thanks

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Rivertechltd,

You could transfer the domain name into BT, there would be no difference in the setup really, but you could setup a pop3 connector / smtp connector if it was hosted here.

If you are setting it up with the previous instructions, have you opened ports in your router to ensure the traffic is allowed through?  I.e. opened port 25 to your mail server for exchange or 110 / 995 for pop?

Thanks,

Steve

badboyhouse

Remember to set up the appropriate Receive Connector in Exchange otherwise you won't receive any emails.

Once you've done this it's just a case of:

- Static IP address

- MX Record for mail.yourdomainname.com

- A Record linking the MX Record to your static IP address

- Port Forward Exchange ports from your router to your Exchange Server.