cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend wireless range of 2700hgv using a wireless n router

cottamcomputers

I am trying to extend the wireless range of a BT 2700HGV business hub by attaching a Netgear WNR2000 with an ethernet cable, I was able to use the internet wirelessly from either the netgear router or the bt hub until I switched off the bt hub, after the bt hub was switched back on the internet access was only available from the bt hub and not from the netgear router any more. Please can someone let me know if I need to change a setting on the bt hub before this will work permanently and what settings I should use on the netgear router, eg dhcp, ssid, repeater or bridge etc. Many Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

MHC
Guru

It is covered in a post that is "stickied" at the top.    But briefly what you neeed to do.

Access the 2700 and go to page http://home/xslt?PAGE=C_2_3

Ensure DHCP enabled is checked.  

Then select Configure Manually with teh following settings.

Router Address:   192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

First DHCP 192.168.1.64

Last DHCP 192.168.1.128

DHCP Lease:   9999

And SAVE,  then SAVE again.

Access the Netgear directly and find out where teh DHCP server is turned on/off.    Turn DHCP server OFF

Navigate to teh address page and set teh Netgear with an IP address of 192.168.1.11   SAVE and SAVE again

Reboot both devices and connect an Ethernet cable from the 2700 to port 1 of the Netgear

Connect (wired) to teh 2700 and set up wirelss without security - initially and check access is OK.   Then   turn on your chosen level of security and check again.    Do all te changes through a wired connection.    Choose an SSID Cottam_2700.

Whilst connected (wired) to teh 2700 go to 192.168.1.11 whcih should be the Netgear and setup the wirless there in te same way but choose a different SSID such as Cottam_Netgear.

Use both for a day or two,   powereing up and down occasionally to ensure it all works.

Then,  you can tweak your SSIDs.

la508

I have been trying for several days to get a 2nd 2700HGV to work as a wireless AP and still don't have any success.

This is what I have done:

1. Disconnect main router (Router 1) from computer
  2. Connect Router 2 via ethernet cable from port 1
  3. Navigate to settings by entering 192.168.1.254
  4. Local network > Advanced settings and click the configure manually radio button
  5. Enter 192.168.1.10 as the IP and 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask
  6. Uncheck DHCP, and clicked save
  7. Navigate back to settings by entering 192.168.1.10 to ensure everything's correct
  8. Disconnect Router 2, and reconnect Router 1 to computer by port 1
  9. Connect an ethernet cable from Router 2 port 1 to Router 1 port 4
  10. Reboot both routers and computer

Now the internet doesn't work at all. When first connecting it comes up with a security warning saying the certificate is issued by an entity not trusted by teh OS. Any subsequent attempts to connect come up with the BT error page that says

"Broadband link not available

Error: failed to connect"

The only thing I can think that may be wrong with the setup is when looking at the settings for Router 2, the username for PPP doesn't match that of Router 1. However, changing them so they match still doesn't work.

MHC
Guru

You look to be doing everything correctly ...

Document all of the settings used in the primary router - the one which connects to the pone line and ensure you know your user name and password for both BT ADSL and the routers.

Do full factory resets on both.

Connect router 1 and ensure you have Internet access.     Go through the various stages again and check at each point that all is OK.

The method above has been used many many times with very few issues but occasionally an odd setting might upset it.