cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP server hosting on Infinity

mfirth

Hi,

I'm trying to host an FTP server (with a static IP address) on the end of a BT Business Infinity line and am having some strange problems.

Users can connect to the FTP server, list directories, move around the directories etc, in both passive and active FTP mode.

Uploads to the server even work too.

However, as soon as a "real" data download starts, the connection just locks up.

I'm pretty sure its not the FTP server itself, as I can connect to it from the office LAN and download successfully - the FTP server sits outside the office firewall so as far as the FTP server is concerned it should appear the same as every other connection from the Internet.

The seems to me to leave two possible sources of the problem - either the 2wire gateway that sits between the FTP server and the Openreach modem is trying to do something clever, even when the firewall setting for the FTP server is "off", or BT are blocking this intentionally in their network.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Have tried Googleing the issue, but don't seem to be able to find any useful results.

Thanks

Michael

2 REPLIES 2

celavey
Power User

Do you encounter this problem on all data you trying to upload or download via FTP server?

sej7278
Super User

have you tried SFTP instead (probably should for security anyway, FTP is so 1992) as it will be encrypted it won't fall foul of any transparently proxies in the way (e.g. parental controls) which could be falling over examining large files.