cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting my own web-service - BT Business Broadband Setup

robatbentley

I'm attempting to host my own web-service (wordpress, apache, PHP etc) for my small business. My server is setup but can't successfully test whether our BT Business Broadband and BT2700HGV router are setup correctly. i.e. I've asked friends to test http links to my server using both the server and router IP address in place of localhost in the following...

http://localhost/phpmyadmin/

Tried these URLs on different PCs inside my router network but they don't work either (Timeout messages).

I've gone as far as I can with my limited experience and really need some guidance.

• Currently only have a dynamic IP address allocated (not that it seems to make much difference to the IP on the router) but, having looked at other posts, I may need a static IP
  • Think I've correctly setup the router firewall for ports 80 & 443.
  • Ditto for the server (WHS2011) firewall too. ...with Apache server (not IIS) definatley up and running.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

JOHN003

If you want the engineer to connect more than one computer, they'll do that too. When you're placing your broadband order, make sure you select 'engineer installation' and then just tell us how many computers you'd like us to connect. It costs an extra £35 for each additional computer that you want connecting.

robatbentley

Whoa there! I've had Business BB installed for years.

...and certainly can't afford to be paying £35 per PC connections (4+ PCs)

I thought this was a forum that provided help and advice, not a push to spend even more money with BT.

Even my email to the technical help desk ended up with a response to spend money on BT support.

My PCs and server have all been working just fine. The problem is resolving www access to my wordpress web-server that's already setup. WWW can see my standard non-Wordpress web-sites. It's only the Wordpress router config I'm looking for help on here

No, I'm looking for help from anyone who's had a similar problem or can just point me in the right direction.

Blimey, I'm not that rich!

Sogo7
Grand Master

Did you configure Port Forwarding ? this connects localhost 127.0.0.01 of the server PC  to your public IP address on the world wide web and should not be confused with opening the Firewall port.

No static IP No problem, several people provide a free DNS service  essentially you download and run a small piece of software on the server PC that 'calls home' and tells the service provider what IP you are currently on and redirects traffic from the web accordingly.

Lovelogic.net UK Jobs Scanner