cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 and Static IP adrress

escape1

Hi, 

I have just setup my Hub3 with Business Broadband and all works fine except for my static IP's.

We have a small network with one PC acting as a server with printers attached etc. If I don't assign a static IP the users PC can access the printers etc fine on the server, but if I allocated one of our 5 static IP's to the pc, then it doesn't recognised anything on the server, so can't print etc.  

The static IP works fine as I allowed Remote Desktop and it worked fine, but it just won't seem to then connect to PC's on the network, anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this? 

Many thanks 

Darren 

1 REPLY 1

andyt22
Power User

I think this is happening bcause the PCs on your internal network can't find a route to your server when it has the static IP address. But what you could do is:

1. assuming you have a single network interface on the server, assign the static IP address (so that you have external connectivity) and then manually assign a second IP address, on the same subnet as your internnal LAN, to this network interface (this is sometimes called an IP alias). So you could have, say, 81.142.248.233 as your static external IP address and , if you're using addresses in the range 192.168.1.0-254 for your internal LAN, PCs, etc, you could assign something like 192.168.1.10 as the second IP address.

2. Better still, if you have two separate network interfaces on your server PC, use one for the external static IP address and the other interface for your internal LAN. This keeps potentially heavy internal LAN traffic off your external network interface.

HTH,

Andy